By Cougar - 24/07/2009 19:05 - United States

Today, I was at work when my mother called. She gave me great news that she had finally cleaned out my room and all those "old and useless" books that I had in there. Those "useless" books that she had just trashed were all antiques and worth about $500 each. There were 27 books in there. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 713
You deserved it 5 209

Same thing different taste

Top comments

FYL :( Make her pay you the $13,500 :P

ouch. that's $13,500 you just lost. You have my sincerest condolences. that really does suck.

Comments

my aunt does that sometimes... i mean my room is usually clean but sometimes cleaning gets out of hand for her and she does the WHOLE house... she once threw away homework and then when i told my teacher i couldnt find it my aunt grounded me for not doing my homework .... lol but that is a whole lot worse FYL!!!!

And did you tell your aunt? Was the problem somehow fixed? I'm sorry I'm just a bit curious...

porcupunk 0

First of all, really good antique/rare books have NO value. Just for saying that they are worth $X it's YDI. Most importantly, that's why you have a bookcase(s) with glass door(s) that you can lock. Antique books should not be left out in the open. Again YDI. PS: as someone else mentioned, if you can afford to collect antique books, you should not live with your parents...

How can you say they have no value? If the most somebody is willing to pay for it is $500 , surely it is worth $500.

kj234864 0

Sorry but 14 is right, books just aren't worth that much unless they were bound in sheepskin and are from the 14th century. The only way this person would think they were worth that much is if they were duped into actually paying that much

or if they're 1st edition Harry Potter & the Sorcerers Stone books. But i doubt she has 27 of those lying around

#14/#21 both fail. An item is worth whatever people are generally willing to pay for it. And some people are willing to pay crazy amounts for stuff that doesn't seem that great (i.e. a book) because they're eccentric like that. Rare one-of-a-kind antique books can be very precious.

kj234864 0

Yes I know an item is worth what somebody is willing to pay. I'm actually an antique collector so I know all about it. But the fact is the market for books isn't big enough where books are worth 500 dollars. The ones that are are in collections and museums. What are the chances this person has 27 one of a kind books anyways?

porcupunk 0

#18 - I mean that real antique books are simply priceless and therefore have no value. If you collect them, you will never sell them, save for a ridiculous case when someone would offer you millions (which would never happen) and even then, I would be really tempted to turn such an offer down... #21 - You misunderstood me and they don't have to be sheepskin bound to be priceless... I own a few antique books from 19th century that I will not sell for any money... #31 - First edition harry potter books are just a fad... you have to be a harry potter fan to see any kind of value in it.... #32 - That's precisely what I meant. For a true collector or a true book lover, these books have no value, they are priceless... #69 - Not entirely true. I've seen more than enough books in antique stores with price tags of 10 or even 100 times more than $500. However, my point was that if you really collect antique books, you don't place monetary value on them, they are priceless to you...

Some people still live with their parents to help support them, you know. Just because someone lives with their parents doesn't mean they can't afford to live on their own. : ( And yeah, FYL. If possible OP, try and track down where she dumped them because that's a LOT of money, and you might be able to save them...

i still live with my parents it's cheaper that way for me and i help pay bills i always give my mom half my pay. i feel OP pain i only have two old books one from 1901 and 1902, but my parents would never dream of tossing them out. books are important and your mom is an idiot for throwing them out, they are never 'old & useless" they are for learning. also you kinda deserve it though i keep my books wrapped up in protective plastic folder and inclosed in black fabric bags put in a glass cabnit, they are safe from bookworms the cabnit stays dry so no chance of mold and they are out of the sunlight, sunlight which can damage them by fading and yellowing. you should have taken better care of your books.

I'd have gone into an age-long depression if I lost that much money. Luckily, my mum doesn't move a thing from my room when she cleans it.

There are a few reasons why someone might still live with their parents, or even have their parents living with them. Losing all those books sucks, man. Who is ignorant enough to call books "old and useless" and throw them away, anyway?

Yes indeed, who does that? Books FTW :O And yes I'm being serious :)

triplethreat13 0

for all those people that comment saying that their mothers still clean their rooms, you are PATHETIC!!! i've been cleaning my own room since i was a little kid, i do not allow anyone to clean it for me, mostly because it's a responsibility thing. come on, people! and for all you people saying "you shouldn't be living with your mother", maybe the OP isn't of legal age yet!! consider these facts as you write more and more ignorant comments.

and maybe some of us aren't OCD and don't care if our rooms/apartments are messy but our mothers insist on cleaning for us anyway?

girlygirl666 0

If she just did it, tell her to go and get them out of the trash?