By Anonymous - 25/08/2009 17:03 - United States

Today, I was at the park with my autistic son when I noticed a teenage girl imitating him by flapping her hands and walking on her toes. Fed up with children mocking my son, I went over and sternly lectured the girl's mother. Turns out, her daughter is autistic too and will be in my son's class. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 966
You deserved it 23 176

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ligerie 0

Sooo thats good right? under the circumstances? They can be friends =]

I understand why you'd be mad.. A close family member of mine is autistic and it makes me very angry if people imitate him.

Comments

My little brother has that arm flapping thing; my children who are all 'normal' all mimic it---not to make fun of him but because it looks like fun. Maybe, you should quit jumping to the conclusion that because other children are copying off of your son they HAVE to be making fun of him....maybe they are just trying to play with him. Get your panties out of a wad YDI because you assumed!

Note that the girl imitating the OP's son was teenaged, and some teenaged people can be jerks. I have an autistic friend, and his classmates mock him.

curryndricegirll 0

sorry but, how many parents actually want their kids to be the butt of everyone else's joke? i mean, you said they're doing it to have fun...but that does ultimately mean that his son is the butt of the joke. i think after let's say fifteen years...he got tired of it. so yeah, he does kind of have the right to assume. And they're teenagers...they're not flapping their arms because they think it's fun...they are making fun of him. OP, I was going to say YDI for the lecture, but i can understand where that came from, and i'm sure the mother did as well. and i'm glad you didn't yell at the kid, because a lot of times they don't know any better. although...i think it should have been obvious if her mother was at the park watching her TEENAGE daughter...but again, i won't judge you. FYL for the kids that really do make fun of your son, because that's just awful.

Panties out of a wad? o.O That's... nasty sounding. I much prefer knickers in a twist.

you must be pretty stupid for thinking that children and teens (and adults) don't mock people with disabilities. when i was younger my sister and i never mocked or imitated our other disabled sister, because our parents made us understand that it was inappropriate and would never help her to learn. you suck at raising kids for letting them do that.

djb23 0

shit that explains all the dirty looks I got when I'd go around flapping my hands and walking on my toes..

something41 0
lifeislife_fml 0
mo_the_owl 0

ydi for assuming you're alone in your situation, judging others the way you don't want them judging your son.

chasychan 0

oops! but I can see where you're coming from. I'm sure the mother understands. my brother is autistic, and the stares and mocking get so old so fast.

MiniatureMayhem 0

I get where you're coming from, I have two autistic siblings (twins) and it really pisses me off when other people make fun of them. There's no way you could've known about the girl, so as long as you apologized about making that mistake, you should be alright.

That's embarrassing, for sure, but I'm sure she understands completely where you're coming from.

MiseryAlice 0

This isn't that bad, just a bit embarressing. It's more like a MLIA or MLIG

a friend for ur son.. sounds pretty good if u ask me/

Maybe you of all people should understand that your son is not the only one.

CaptainCrunch_fml 0

The family and people who care about someone that's mentally challenged understand that not everyone is out to attack them. What people like you don't get is that it is so frustrating see a person they love THAT CANNOT HELP WHAT THEY DO OR SAY because of their disability be hurt because someone is mocking them. Do you want to see someone you love be attacked constantly for something they can't help? If your face was burned off, something you could not help, and people were constantly scoffing at you, don't you think you'd be hurt? Do you think you would just "let it go" every single time. Those people don't think they're "holier than thou", they just don't like to see their family be hurt. You're saying the OP probably makes fun of people who wear weird clothing when 1. you have no idea what the OP is like. 2. Someone who understands what clothes they are putting on can defend themselves and they know what they are doing, unlike mentally challenged people.

CaptainCrunch, good sir, I applaud and salute you