By ShadowReiku - 06/06/2014 03:38 - United States - Bowie

Spicy
Today, my long distance boyfriend told me no more nude pictures or sexting, as he's afraid the government will steal it all. FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 605
You deserved it 9 592

fishyrael tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here. While I don't doubt that they are in fact kept on record somewhere, I DO doubt that they would use them for some sort of super weapon like he was implying. My boyfriend grew up in a bad home and has anxiety and paranoia like you wouldn't believe, so he probably heard something in his computer class and blew it way out of proportion. Again. This is just the latest strange thing he's doing. At one point he wanted us to invest in a bunker. I'm 20 and he's 19, so we're both of age, and we've been dating for 2 years, but we live in different timezones. He's a college student and I don't make very much so it's hard for us to pay to meet up, so sexting is usually all we've got. I prefer skype, since my phone is ancient and doesn't have any of these fancy new-fangled apps, but I was laptopless for the night, which is why I texted him asking and got that in response. I know for a 100% fact that he is not cheating on me. He wouldn't be able to pull it off. Like I said, anxiety and paranoia. He once apologized to me in panic over having a crush on a celebrity, thinking that was just as bad as cheating. In any case, when he isn't at school, he's on skype and steam with me. And for those saying to send them to you, shame on you.

Top comments

Well from what I've heard is that in canada phone companies keep texts for 1 year on their servers. It's a reason I never sext over text messages. There's apps for that stuff now anyways.

Comments

raspution 21

I have a friend and if that was his job... lets just say they would be well used.

He's actually not very far off base. Revenge **** site make a lot of money stealing private photos and vids illegally and then publishing your private info with it for the sole purpose of site users to harass the people in them. Although I think you should be allowed to do what you want without living in fear of scum like that

It's all on a giant database called PRISM. Look it up.

BradTheBrony 19

#1: They are what? They are steal it all?

I liked your comment because it was witty and your profile picture is of L

incoherentrmblr 21

Well from what I've heard is that in canada phone companies keep texts for 1 year on their servers. It's a reason I never sext over text messages. There's apps for that stuff now anyways.

Yeah, like those apps don't save them on their servers either. The snapchat servers were hacked a while ago and a lot of the pictures were stolen, even the ones people thought were gone forever.

Epikouros 31

Just put the pictures on 4chan. They don't archive threads, so it's safe.

Or they say they don't archive threads so you think you're safe.

I feel really sorry for you if you weren't aware of the fact that apps see and save your pics and texts.

you think the government doesn't record all those posts?

MichellinMan 20

And use it themselves of course.

What would they even use it for? I wonder...

RedPillSucks 31
badluckalex 23

Hmm, lets consult Professor Hans Jerkoff about this.

dannnngthatsux 19
AnOriginalName 19

Your boyfriend's a prick. I gotta hand it to you, he doesn't seem to be thinking with his head in this situation.

MichellinMan 20

The amount of puns in one comment...

AnOriginalName 19

I should have done better with those puns. I guess I'm not at my best at 2:30 AM though, when I posted that.

It's like a fight between a racer and his tires...

Lrigglez 7

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
AnOriginalName 19

I don't know, why would you want someone's nudes? Hmmmm....

raspution 21

u do realise obama passed a law so the government can and does save all your texts in case they need to "review" them later don't u?

And they watch all sorts of video chatting too, so no help there. In all honesty, as long as you're 18+ while you're engaging in whatever sexual self-image exchange it is you like to do over the internet or via text, you have nothing to worry about. Other than the risk of potential exploitation, but that's a risk you take with any racy picture.

RedPillSucks 31

@17 You do realize that the Patriot Act has been around before Obama, and even in administrations before that, the NSA was trolling communications data. Lets try not to get political about something that isn't.

The Patriot Act came into effect shortly after 9/11, if I'm not mistaken.

The point isn't really that It's illegal, 34. It's that It's a total invasion of privacy. People can just look at pictures you send or read your texts.. That is some spooky shit right there.

The PATRIOT Act (all caps because it's actually an acronym) was enacted by George W Bush. However, no one realized how far reaching it was until after Barack Obama came into office, and he's done virtually nothing to address the concerns raised by both politicians and ordinary folks on both sides of the political isle.

It is political and Obama was the one that said to get all communications recorded not the ones before him

Their servers have been hacked and photos leaked in the past, there isn't really a safe alternative.

Snapchat themselves have admitted they see everyones pictures, meaning someone keeps them somewhere.

I say don't take photos of it if you wouldn't want your parents seeing it. I had an incident involving photos and I can't stress it enough to think before you send them!

oh your boyfriend is right. welcome to 1984.... big brother is watching.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Edward Snowden proved that it's no conspiracy

I think you mean it's not a theory anymore. It's definitely a conspiracy.

You are right. That's what I meant!

Yeah... my statement had nothing to do with any government-related situation but rather myself hoping OP's boyfriend wasn't trying to avoid pictures from her for other reasons - a point which was clearly missed.