By Apparently not a writer - 20/02/2013 16:36 - United States - Hockessin

Today, I uploaded the first chapter of my best writing yet to a popular writing website. After ten minutes, I was thrilled to already see one review and five comments. Each comment was telling me to immediately delete the story because of how horrible it was. The rating was half a star. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 147
You deserved it 8 410

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did you do a fanfic of 50 Shades of Grey? Who am I kidding that would become a bestseller.

Comments

The painful truth may hurt but at least you now know that writing just isn't for you. You should still write if it's what you enjoy doing...just do it as a secret hobby, no one has to know!

SystemofaBlink41 27

Or she could just keep at it? Just compare your work to Stephanie meyers and use it as a self esteem booster...

I would rate this FML zero stars if I could...

If you're that bad, how do you not know? Is it the technical aspect that's terrible, or the story itself, I wonder?

My friend can't write (she has good ideas, but her writing isn't that great) and I keep telling her I made a journal about how to write and to read it and pass it on; she obviously hasn't. Some people don't realize the fact that they can't write.

shutupAnderson 7

Come on Sherlock, work your logical magic and figure out exactly why and how OP is such a bad writer, what influenced her to write this FML, and the REAL truth behind the matter. I'd help you out with this case, but I'm busy going out to dinner with my new girlfriend because I'm NOT GAY.

You are aware that Master of the Universe, later to become 50 Shades of Grey, got over 40,000 positive reviews? People on the internet have no taste. (Your work could be terrible, but I've seen what's popular on the internet and it's all wish-fullfillment suefic.)

Are you aware that 40000 represents a very small percentage of worlds population? That's 0.0005% of all people. For some reason when people see a "big" crowd they lose sight of the big picture. Crowd in question might actually be a loud minority.

Because everyone on the ******* earth reads or is capable of reading books and using the internet. Even timeless works from famous authors are not going to get read by every single human. Dumbass.

Do they know it's only the first chapter? Take the opportunity to improve, learn, and grow. Master your craft!

IF you want to write, keep writing. People don't continuosly produce bestselleres, so you can improve. Also, no matter what you write, somebody, somewhere will hate it. Another thing that on the internet that are many trolls, assholes and teenagers. So if you want recognition, the internet doesn't look like the right place to get it. I'd advise to write for fun, not for recognition - it might be easier that way.

This is true. Fun fact: J.K. Rowling was rejected over 100 times before her book was published. Keep trying, OP! If it was actually as bad as they said it was, then just use this as a stepping stone and learn from your mistakes.

It seems that every time someone brings up Rowling, there are more rejections or more hardship. Not saying she wasn't lucky, talented and in a difficult situation, but still, the situation shouldn't get increasingly worse once it's over.

carminecris89 13

That's devastating but atleast you put it out there. Keep trying! Don't give up.

upallnight11 19

If that's your best writing, I think you should rethink your career.

It's her "best writing yet." She can learn and improve from this, and general practice.

shiarrael 13

Ignore it. The internet is full of trolls who live to ruin people's dreams. You write because you like to and because you want to. Who cares what the internet thinks?