By ilovechickens - 15/04/2012 03:46 - United States

Today, I tried to be kind to animals and get my dad to buy cage-free eggs. When I told him it was dollar more, he started yelling and making a scene in the middle of the store, saying that chickens are ugly and they deserve to suffer. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 783
You deserved it 6 545

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well if you're so concerned about it buy them yourself...not to sound harsh but your dad obviously isn't on board

unicornfairy 0

Chickens are not ugly! They are cute.

Comments

starman02 12

Well... They don't deserve to suffer.. that being said.. They are just chickens.. And we NEED there eggs in almost every recipe ( yes nazis before you go all ape I said ALMOST ) .. So.. I'm not really seeing the "FML" here Eggs are good.. Nom nom nom Hey pass the ketchup...

Hiimhaileypotter 52

They're "just chickens"...really? They're still living creatures who can feel pain.

If you want to be kind to animals... just don't buy eggs. They're horrible for your health anyway.

OH NO YOU DI'NT. Eggs are not "horrible for your health"...where'd you pull that from? There's no evidence to support that. The only way in which eggs are bad for you is raw, and that has more to do with contamination than anything else. Though much like any animal product you shouldn't have too much of them.

ssnowywinter 0

Not to mention the ridiculously high consumption of meat in the US. Unless everyone in the country wants to reduce or stop eating meat, or pay high prices for cage free or whatever, there will always be 'cruel' factory farms. Not saying that it's good or bad, but that they won't go away unless there is a drastic change that no one would want to go through with.

Hell. Eggs are eggs. Sure, it's not good the way they treat chickens sometimes, but that wouldn't justify spending an extra dollar for a carton of eggs. People aren't exactly swimming in money, you know. How can you have proof, though, that those cage free eggs are actually cage free? Packing companiese can put anything anywhere and put anything on the carton.

I think it's because human feeling isn't the same as animal feeling, so it would hurt for us to be caged, but when comparing it to an animal, for a lot of humans the significance is not the same.

You thought buying cage-free eggs was "being kind to animals"? Shows how uneducated you are.. Not to mention, YOU buying them and YOU forcing your dad to buy them are 2 very different things...

138, I'm responding to points made by others, a point was raised, it was responded to. That's how discussions work, you see? Amazing!

138: Allow me to give you a reasonable argument: Cage free has already been explained by the people above, so I won't really go into that. However you say that animals are here for us to "consume and use", which I have to respectfully disagree with. I believe we are supposed to coexist with anuimals, as well as humans. No, I'm not a hippy and no, I'm not vegan either. This is just my opinion. You saying "consume and use" is...intersting. Let's apply it to all facets of life. Yes, most animals depend on a specific source of consumption to not only survive, but to also maintain a balanced ecosystem. Now as humans. We have something remarkable--that is free will. So we can be omnivores, vegetarians, vegans, or consume meat until we die from cardiac arrest. Because of this, we don't necessarily need meat to survive, and therefore meat isn't made for us to eat, per se. Back to cage free. Even though eggs end up in the same place (for some)--you mouth--eating cage free eggs encourages farmers in general to produce them that way. It is more humane, and despite what most people believe the consumer controls supply and demand. So as a result, we can control what is given to us by the Food Industry. After all, it's our needs they're catering to. So there is my argument to you. Hope it was informative.

There's another way to be kind too animals..just try too eat less of them!(: It's hard to go vegetarian though..I've tried..abd failed.