By purpleskylight - 27/06/2012 05:29 - United States - Lexington

Today, I tried for 45 minutes to convince my psychiatrist to take me off my antidepressant. When he finally agreed to do so, I broke down into tears and sobbed uncontrollably for 10 minutes. Hello, increased prescription. FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 083
You deserved it 22 656

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well..you need it, you'll get off of it soon enough, don't worry OP.

There's nothing wrong with needing a little medication!!

Comments

I can't imagine why someone would feel the need to convince a psychiatrist to stop prescribing them something they could just discontinue on their own initiative...UNLESS they HAVE to follow the doctor's orders because of a court order or something of that nature. If that's the case, OP, I suggest you just be honest with your psychiatrist and follow his advice without complaint. There's a reason you're seeing him.

Because it's dangerous as crap to just quit taking antidepressants. They make your body think it's perfectly okay and therefor produce all kinds of hormones that your sick (depression IS a disease) body would not normally produce. Getting off them without your doctor's help and advice would plunge your body into a sort of emergency stage and that would lead to all kinds of complications.

constipatedlady 0

Dangerous as crap? I crap everyday. Uh oh.

I'm sorry. this is bad.. but I laughed at this..

bkkingkeokuk 1

I wouldnt tell anyone to stop tajing there meds but u can get the same htp5 or whatever it is in supplements like new mood by the onit labs

dtgr02 4

I don't recommend htp5 it can cause permanent irreversible damage to your liver. If u want try st John wort as natural herb

Iknoweverything 29

My psychiatrist didn't want to take me off my meds either, but rather, wanted to start me on a new med that had terrible side effects. I asked her for a lower dosage of my current meds, weaned myself off, and never looked back. HOWEVER, I've been doing accupuncture and exercising daily in order to justify going off my meds. If you aren't going to do extra work to combat your symptoms, you can't really justify going off medication. Having depression is hard. If you want to beat it without meds, you need to be able to do the work to beat it.

I have depression too. Op you are not alone.

rldrship 0

I agree on some of the things that a few ppl had to say just because your "depressed" doesn't mean that you need medication if you want off te med don't take them n next time you go see you psychiatrist bring all the meds that you "suppose" to take and show him /her that you dont n didn't need them in the first place

If you are going to tell someone to go against their psychiatrist's orders without notifying him/her, at least tell them to decrease their dosage slowly. Even if they're perfectly mentally capable of living without medication, it's just reality that there are many medications that can cause serious mental or even physical reactions if the person just bluntly stops taking them.

Atleast you get the medication. Because I'm under 18 my parents say I don't need anti-depressants and I have all the symptoms. Only 4 more years...

yoursucklives 36

i wouldn't give my 14-year old child meds, that could probably make them addicted either. i know i don't know your story, but maybe it's just puberty?

At the very least ask for all natural anti depressants. Marijuana. There are far less lethal side effects. If you watch T.V. they recall three anti depressant drugs a month and advertise even more that spend half the commercial telling you about side effects. The only argument they can really throw at you for weed is, its illegal unless we say otherwise.

dominic1221 6

Weed's a depressant. What you're suggesting is no different from saying they should drink their sorrows away, and for that, you're borderline evil.

Well. Not many people need anti-depressents, as for people who are still in highschool that think they are depressed, you're not. Its just highschool. I was the same way, my psychiatrist thought that i needed to go on medication too. I did not. When you leave highschool things become a lot easier, trust me. Also, Just smoke weed. Smoking weed will help you far more than what some pill-pusher will prescribe you, dont believe me? try it. Worked for me.

unknown_user5566 26

106- You have no clue what you're talking about. I work at a high school and I work with many students who have an array of mental/emotional disorders, including depression. As far as weed goes, I have no problem with its medicinal use, but you have no business suggesting a "treatment". Furthermore, everyone is different; what worked for you may not work for someone else.