By Anonymous - 10/08/2013 19:28 - United States - Winston Salem

Today, I took my driving test. As I was about to turn at a green light, a car sped toward us from the other direction, running a red light. My instructor failed me because I stopped to avoid getting rammed. Apparently I should have kept going, because it was my right of way. FML
I agree, your life sucks 65 603
You deserved it 3 618

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And this is when you report him and say "you failed, at keeping a job"

dixiefoxx 22

Comments

And this is when you report him and say "you failed, at keeping a job"

K410 18

Same shit happened to me too when some jackass ran a stop sign and nearly t-boned us... It's a miracle how these people are on the road -.-

There related to the instructors and when they're about to fail they say "c'mon dude you owe me one."

MikeonFML 17

If you get a second chance sneak in a dash cam. Everyone knows when you over-prepare nothing happens.

I would have also made the point that if you were turning left, then the car who ran the red light would have hit the instructors side and he could have died. You are in other words the hero and saved their life so they should stop being a dick!

That is a good way of putting it! Way to be a Hero OP!

dixiefoxx 22
summerguy97 16

In my driver's Ed course I was told that even if you have the right of way not to assume you'll get it.

misskay007 1

<sarcasm>No, EVERYONE knows that op should've kept going then slammed on her horn repeatedly, duh. </sarcasm> I moved to North Carolina from PA in January, and I can't even begin to tell you how many cars I've seen go even when the light is red (I've seen anywhere from four to six cars go at once after the light has turned red)- so, OP you're going to need to get used to shit like that. Also, you're going to want to prepare yourself for people cutting out in front of you, cars driving without their headlights on (in the dark and in stormy weather). From what I've seen, there's too many people who text/**** around with their phones while they're driving, so just keep being a cautious driver and good luck, hopefully you'll pass next time.

TrinityisLife 22

lol, my manager moved here to NC from PA. O_O Maybe you're her.......... Anyways, some of the DMV people here are awesome, some are asses. I was failed on a 3pt turn because I adjusted my car to avoid the curb and didn't back up straight. Got to love it.

42 - I live in Montreal, where drivers are notoriously unpredictable. My instructor said the same thing, and to ALWAYS look and be aware. Saved my ass in a few close shaves.

nurchok 15

OP, I believe, the whole point of getting driver's license is to understand that what is meant to be a means of transportation can also be a weapon. Choosing the safest route/aka avoiding trouble and retards is always the best thing to do, so I couldn't agree more with everyone in this branch of responses. Report the ass. Good luck and hope you pass next time with an instructor that is interested in your and others' safety rather than his wallet...

Yeah, I was taught not to enter an intersection until it was clear of opposing traffic. And to drive defensively. Who the hell takes a turn because they got right of way, knowing they're going to get hit by an asshole running a red light?!

OP is a coward. Should push through next time.

#100 I've seen someone do that just to get the insurance money to replace the car purely bc no matter hat it's the one running the red light's fault. Stupidity getting rewarded. OP you did the right thing and I Hope you have taken everyone's advice and reported him and are given another chance to take your test soon. We need more careful, smart drivers out there!

150493x 29

Time for a new instructor. What an ass!

mmizbbz210 13

I agree. That is bullshit. Think he'd be grateful that someone who.is just testing to drive knew what good judgement was.

I've found that DMV employees are among the bitterest people on the face of the earth.

You have never worked in retail then. We are the worst people, we just can't show it because we need our jobs. As much as we want to beat the shit out of people for every "if it doesn't scan then it's free!" joke or bitching at us for the price of something you saw on a sign that doesn't exist, we sit and smile, thinking "it's not worth it... yet..."

Just wanted to mention that the DMV doesn't give the final test in every state. In Virginia you need to pay a company to take a driving course and the instructors there give you the final test. But other than that, yeah they are bitter.

TrinityisLife 22

The DMV does the final test here. =(

ToasterStroodle 6

There's a reason I try to be nice to everyone, I don't want to see anyone's dark side.

150493x 29

I feel your pain #48. I've worked in a supermarket. Someone complained at the price of an orange and claimed it was cheaper elsewhere. But the things you explained in your comment are exactly what I've experienced/felt.

Why was this downvoted? It's a valid point. Referring to 103, btw.

They fail you even if its not your fault... try again op!

They'd fail you even if you went for it knowing that car was coming for "taking an unsafe risk". It's such a money grab.

Yeah after some idiot does that you might as well go back to the building, it's over either way...

I would think you should be able to fight that... They must have a Drivers Ed court or something :P But seriously, that instructor was way wrong and should not have been able to fail you for that. Actually, you should have gotten bonus points for being a safe driver even when others around you pose a danger.

You may have failed, but at least you're still alive OP. Your instructor must be an idiot.

I can't believe people let douchecanoes like that instructor have jobs.

Douchecanoes... I learned a new word today!

You did the right thing. I'd rather fail at a driving test than fail at life.

I bet he still would've failed you if you kept going. FYL.

At least you're alive OP, I'd rather be alive and well than to be rammed into. Also, your instructor is stupid.

Sign of the times... My dad had the exact opposite happen to him. Avoided being hit by a car the instructor didn't see, so he was passed on the spot.

Does that happen? I'm sure he would've passed anyway, but shouldn't avoiding being hit be a normal expectation of taking the test?

therealafroninga 10

My second and first test I used the emergency break to basically drift away from an accident. Failed the first passed the second. It just depends on how the instructor values the written law, and actual driving skills.