By Crushgonewrong - 22/06/2016 21:42 - United States - Compton

Today, I told the cute girl in my office that she looked like she listened to country music, as an icebreaker. She blankly stared at me for what felt like forever, and responded with, "That's the worst thing you could say to a person," and walked away. She hasn't talked to me since. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 462
You deserved it 12 889

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well I kind of agree. Telling someone they "look like the kind of person who..." could easily be taken offensively.

Comments

neuronerd 28

Future reference: "what kind of music do you like" is a better ice breaker than making any assumption. Perhaps for her it's an insult along the lines of "I bet you like Marilyn Manson and Korn" that I used to get in my goth kids days (for the record, I was mostly into industrial and EBM back in those days).

I've gotten very sarcastically asked if I listen to one direction and Justin Bieber. I was looking very girly that day. Well, as a matter of fact, I'm a metalhead, and having someone assume my music taste (especially 1D and JB) is very insulting to me.

Never try and make an assumption, especially one stating anything about anyone's looks. It doesn't usually go well. I suggest that next time you see her, you apologize and ask if you can start over - especially since it also seems like you might work with her. You don't want a random grudge being a problem somewhere down the road.

A bit odd presumption to make? Yes. By any means some horrible thing to say? Heck no. Her reaction was unwarranted.

Country music are like anchovies, you either love it or hate it.

#74 I like country music and a lot other people, including my dad do to so it's not true that no one likes country music.

I read this fml as you saying "you look like you listen to country music as an ice breaker" and I was so confused wtf that actually meant lol. I get it now (I'm a little slow this early in the morning) and a simple "what kind of music do you like?" would have sufficed. You would have ended up actually having a conversation with her. Live and learn for next time, I guess.

Society is way too over sensitive, which is why people have a hard time talking to strangers even if it's just a simple conversation. You've got nothing to worry about op and she's definitely not worth it.

Oh good, someone brought up the obligatory "oversensitive" bullshit that always comes up when someone has a negative reaction. Being "oversensitive" hasn't got shit to do with it. Everyone has their likes, dislikes, and boundaries. Eventually, you're going to have a bad interaction with someone. Yeah, it sucks OP experienced that on the first try, but everyone knows what they say about assuming.

If anyone is being oversensitive here it's OP. "oh wah, I said something bad that someone took offense to, better write an FML about it."

Yes, people DO have dislikes and boundaries. That doesn't mean that the same ones apply to everyone. If she thinks that someone making a comment about her supposed music tastes is worse than someone telling her that she will never be loved by anyone and they should kill themselves, then I say she has some pretty shallow standards.

65, people also don't mean everything they say literally.

It's not stupid bullshit, and you sir are over sensitive.

Thank you! I still don't understand why saying oh you seem to like country music would get a response like that? It's like chicks these days saying "I have a boyfriend" without knowing what the other person is asking, it's arrogant and obnoxious. People need to get over themselves.

I agree. I mean, she might think country sucks but wait a moment and find out what the guy meant before you walk away. She overreacted.

It's because country music is generally associated with hicks and rednecks. While of course it's not entirely true, stereotypes are stereotypes. So to the girl, OP saying she seemed like she liked country music was him saying she seemed like a redneck. Which, to any of the more developed parts of the country, is far from a compliment.

It's so sad that the people speaking common sense about this oversensitive girl are the ones getting downvoted. What a crap society we've become.

An old friend in community college tried to stupidly stereotype everyone in our group of friends by the way we dressed/music we listened to. Of course, I got 'rocker' because I usually wear black and I said once before that I listen to Slipknot and seen them live - It kind of annoyed me because I have a very diverse taste in music (my favourite artists are Marilyn Manson, Chris Brown and Celine Dion, for example). Anything with decent lyrics and attractive tune/beat/base/rif I'll listen to it. Black is the usual colour that I wear because it goes with everything and it's slimming, but I've worn all pink, girly outfits plenty of times also. It's rude to just assume they like something just by the "look of it" and it's also a really bizarre thing to say when you start talking to someone...

Flirting at work? YDI. Plenty of people out there that don't have to work with you every damn day after you've tried poorly chosen opening lines on them.

And the award for the worst icebreaker goes to......