By Worthless Waste of Skin Who Hates Himself - 30/04/2016 12:59 - Georgia - Tbilisi

Today, I finally got the courage to talk to this coworker I like and ask her out for a coffee next door. She was dismissive, cold and rude, and filed a complaint with HR. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 568
You deserved it 2 270

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think this really depends on how you asked her and how creepily you've been crushing on her from afar.

Throw some DIY coffee packs on her desk and tell her she can make her own coffee.

Comments

I think this really depends on how you asked her and how creepily you've been crushing on her from afar.

Throw some DIY coffee packs on her desk and tell her she can make her own coffee.

"Waste of skin"? Now that's a new one!

Leprekhaun 14

I don't think she's interested.

As a female, I get why she reacted badly - I've been asked out and hit on by coworkers, and it's extremely awkward that I have to see them everyday after they've been rejected. She didn't have to be rude, so I'm sorry she didn't handle it gracefully, but it's a good rule of thumb to never ask out someone who, if they're not interested, are now going to be stuck in an uncomfortable situation no matter what they do. It's just going to suck for everyone involved.

Nyattack 14

I agree with your first points, but NEVER asking a coworker out from fear of awkwardness, possibly missing out on a great relationship ? I'd say try to first find out if the other person might be interested, but if you think there's a good chance they will be, give it a go !

Mathalamus 24

it doesnt matter how great a relationship is. dating your coworker is frowned on in many jobs. as far as i know. if it isnt, it should be. not to mention that it could fail. she does have a point about never asking out a co-worker. it could end badly, and the rewards aren't worth it.

I met the love of my life at work actually, and we're getting married this summer. :)

It really depends on how he asked her out. Asking someone out for coffee doesn't really stand for hitting on someone, but as a friendly gesture. But the way you act on it can change it.

I definitely think it depends on the situation. Have you guys been hitting it off really, really well for several months and it's very, very clear the other person is interested as well? Maybe give it a shot. But be very careful, and never ask a coworker out cold. It's not fair to anyone, and there is too high a potential for a really ugly ending that ends up with a lost job.

hehe1996 15

Unless you asked her out in a way that was creepy or otherwise unpleasant then what she said was uncalled for and it sounds like you're lucky she said no as you can do better.

I personally think he's not telling the whole story and that he did something that caused her to go to HR.

InfiniteSecret 20

I think that there is definitely more to this story then OP is telling

Honestly, OP, this is why work relationships usually aren't recommended. Now if there's any team project you have to work on or anything where you have to have a joint effort with your coworker it's going to be VERY awkward. Hopefully, should such an occasion ever arise, both of you can be professional and work it out.

Ruskiy_Cherep 18

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

No where in the FML did it say that's why he was rejected.

Correct me if I'm wrong. What you are saying is that op found this girl to be attractive, and when op decided to talk to her and ask her out, her response and personality is not what op expected. Right. Her looks weren't everything, a better personality would be nice.

Ruskiy_Cherep 18

Basically what I meant. Thank You sir

Ruskiy_Cherep 18

#11 I think you may have misunderstood my comment

literally same thing happened to me today. on the bright side I got out of work early

Dude, your username... There's more than 1 billion women on this planet, at least one has to say "yes" to coffee.