By Discouraged despite my effort - 15/12/2016 18:27

Today, I told my future MIL that we couldn't see her on Christmas because I have to work that day passing out gifts to elderly patients, but that I would call off work to travel to see her any day after. That isn't good enough, so she asked my fiance to spend Christmas without me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 236
You deserved it 823

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your fiancé should have a talk with her because she clearly doesn't appreciate what you are trying to do.

dannidoll93 24

Thank you for giving up your Christmas to bring joy to others, and sorry your mother in law doesn't appreciate what you're doing. That said, can't your fiancé spend time with his mother until you finish work? Could you join them after your shift? Seems as though there are some work-arounds here (unless MIL is a long distance away in which case I agree she is being unfair)

Comments

Talis99 26

I'm confused. If you're doing something else, are you leaving your fiancé alone? And expect him to not be with family on the holiday because you won't be there together? Because if that's the case, that's incredibly selfish and kind of controlling. If his options are stay at home or be with family, I'd choose family if I were him. And you should be okay with that.

usnwife 18

I really am curious what her schedule looks like and how far away MIL is before I can decide how I feel about it. My hubs has had obligations he can't get out of, but only lasted an hour or 2. If OP is just passing out presents for an hour but HAS to be there for the hour, then MIL is a jerk trying to get fiance to leave OP for the rest of the day. If it's a full day shift then yes fiance should go... also not sure how far MIL is, hour or so then no biggie but a full days drive or something would change it too... not enough info, imo, but there should be a way to work out some compromise

Wow. I hope your fiance told her to sit and spin. Christmas is supposed to be about family, and your MIL wants your future spouse to leave you alone. That sucks OP, I hope you have a good Christmas despite this!

I don't see why your partner visiting their mom on a day when you're busy anyway is a problem?

You're at work, what's the issue? Working on Christmas doesn't mean Christmas doesn't happen.

The moment people in the comments figure out the difference between fiancée and fiancé. So far, I'm getting a good laugh. Her son, her daughter, your husband, your wife. Everyone's confused. Fiancée is a female to be wed, while a fiancé a male to be wed.

dannidoll93 24

Thank you for giving up your Christmas to bring joy to others, and sorry your mother in law doesn't appreciate what you're doing. That said, can't your fiancé spend time with his mother until you finish work? Could you join them after your shift? Seems as though there are some work-arounds here (unless MIL is a long distance away in which case I agree she is being unfair)

So, because you have to work your fiancè have to spend Christmas alone instead than with his family?

Sorry you have to work, but he shouldn't have to sit home all day waiting for you either. Maybe he could spend Christmas morning/night with you and see his mother while you're at work? Compromise.