By Anonymous - 05/10/2018 14:00

Today, I splurged thousands of dollars on the breed of dog that I've loved since I was a kid from a reputable breeder. He is allergic to all food except the 24lb food for $70 and has sensitivities galore, including a seizure from a shot. I've spent $5,000 in vet bills in the first week. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 787
You deserved it 3 158

Same thing different taste

Top comments

And that's why you adopt, don't shop! 🐶

TomeDr 24

And that’s another reason why it’s better to get a rescue dog.

Comments

You people are all idiots. Op didn’t want a shelter dog and doesn’t need to get one. Just return your broken dog and don’t pay any bills op

I love how so many are pushing “adopt don’t shop”. Not only is it not your business, many rescues lie through their teeth and give funky backstories to the dogs with bred in behaviour problems so people buy him instead of training or euthanizing. As for the vaccines, many dogs have sensitivities. Vets don’t check! They will load the dog up with every vaccine at once, and then act shocked when a dog has an adverse, permanent reaction, which happened to my dog too. My next dog is a spaniel and I’d prefer well bred over shelter dog.

maroongrad 13

that's not a reputable breeder. A reputable breeder has a health guarantee and would have literally insisted on taking the dog back. They likely would not breed the parents again, either, if they produced a pup that was that much of a mess. As your breeder isn't taking the dog back, didn't have a year-plus health guarantee, didn't offer a replacement from the next breeding, etc. you didn't go to a reputable breeder. Backyard hobby breeder, maybe. But not someone breeding for health, appearance, and temperament that actually cares about improving the breed and producing quality dogs. Expensive mistake.

boopingsnoot 24

Sounds like you got a lemon. Any chance you can get your money back? I know you’ve bonded with the dog, but you were not prepared for a special needs pet. I work at a vet and, honestly, keeping a purebred dog alive is one hell of an expensive emotional rollercoaster.

It_gets_better 19

Alright, all y'all listen up. I'm in college studying Companion emphasized Animal Science and minoring in Human-Animal Interaction. Yes, dog "breeds" are arbitrary IF you're only considering the fact that humans made up the categories-- but humans have made up the names for bones and you don't tell a doctor those are arbitrary because the point is the bones still exist and have enough differences for classification. It is true that purebred dogs are more likely to have health issues as the AKC standards are set for physical appearance and not health; HOWEVER, any good breeder will select for health first and breed characteristics second. The thing that makes "mutts" less prone to issues is called heterosis, and it's the same reason that we mix cattle breeds (Ex. Brahman and Angus to make Brangus) because a mixed product often maintains the best of its predecessors. HERE'S WHY PEOPLE GET PUREBRED DOGS: - You know exactly what you're getting. I have had both shelter pets and I recently bought a purebred Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I know that cavaliers are prone to mitral valve disease and syringomyelia. I know that my dog will most likely pass away because of heart issues-- but I also knew that he would be the sweetest little dog possible. That he would be great with children, easily trained, and excessively friendly. Because purebreds have very specific personalities. My grandparents also adopted a Cavalier from a different state and she is exactly the same as my boy personality-wise. My cavalier is exactly what I needed and that's why I chose this breed. There is nothing wrong with supporting responsible breeders who care about their dogs. There is also nothing wrong with adopting animals. Shelter pets, in my experience, can be extremely loving. But they are all very unique individuals and you have to know them for themselves and be ready to deal with their individual histories. So stop hating on each other. Both dogs are good dogs!

Khanev 1

You obviously didn't buy from a reputable breeder then. Reputable breeders give you a month on contract to take your dog to the vet for checkups and if there's anything wrong the breeder will allow you to return that dog for another one free of charge. The fact that the dog even has such food sensitivities your "reputable" breeder probably doesn't even health score their dogs before breeding them which means you got that dog from a backyard breeder or puppy mill who does not breed to better the health or temperament. I would take a dog from a reputable breeder any day over a shelter or rescue. Mutts aren't hip scored, elbow scored, have their entire pedigree on paper, nor are bred for stable temperaments. All mutts and poorly bred purebreds come from unethical people who are either running mills or backyard breeding to make a quick buck. I prefer my dogs healthy with predictable temperaments and drive, not some mystery mutt.

wtfdaemon 3

A ******* idiot and their money are soon parted.

youstupidfuckingidiot 5

Could have rescued a healthy dog, just sayin’...

Stupid, stupid mistake. Not so reputable if the dog is so shit weak. You want a friend, not a mess. Return the defective dog and go to a shelter.

And that's why you should have adopted a dog from a shelter who actually needs a home instead of contributing to breeders that are one of the causes of dogs ending up in shelters. Dogs who are bred like that usually have health problems. A mutt is much healthier. A dog shouldn't have to look a certain way and cost hundreds or thousands of dollars for you to want and love it.