By Beeh - 24/12/2009 05:31 - United States

Today, I shared the story of my younger brother's unexpected death with a friend. After telling him the story, I looked at him with teary eyes and he looked back into my eyes and said "I understand how you feel. That is almost as bad as when I lost my cat last spring term." FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 878
You deserved it 3 412

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ellowise_fml 0

Ohh what a jerk :( I'm sorry for your loss...

Comments

lots of ppl say this kinda stuff to try n show some understanding- which means they care. however, 'almost as bad'? I think ur friend just doesn't understand. I cudnt comprehend losing my puppies, let alone my sisters. obviously uv shared this with him/her bcoz theyr a close friend. remember this.

i know how you feel. my younger brother died unexpectedly, and i've only ever told a few friends about it, and won't talk about it anymore due to an ex boyfriend telling me i was a whinger and my life wasn't as bad as his (he didn't get along with his parents).

VolleyballSMASH 1

oh boohoo to your ex. my parents and I don't get along waaaah. he is obviously an only child, a sibling bond is super strong, and if my sister died- the words don't even make sense.

drucillia09 0

Maybe you should learn how some people feel about their pets. My dog died after 17 years of living with my family (I'm 19 and my youngest [human] sister is 17, the same age as the dog). She was referred to as my furry sister, and she was treated like one of the family, and losing her was one of the worst things that happened to me, even though I knew she was old for a dog. I mean, seriously treated like family, we celebrated her birthday, sang to her when she was having her teeth brushed or being given a pill, and cooked eggs for her after she had had seizures and couldn't eat her food well. She lived three years after people said we should put her down, and she lived the happiest life we could give her. Pets, though not always, can to some feel like a family member, especially if they have been in the household long enough, and especially when it is an animal that is as involved in your life as a dog, cat, or other mammal (not that reptiles and birds can not be, but you do need to keep mammals engaged more to help give them their exercise, and I am not sure what you need to do for reptiles and birds, as I have never had one). This guy was trying to comfort you, which is what matters, and maybe the actual FML is that your brother died, not that the only comparison this guy you talked to has is of his cat, who may have felt like a sibling to him.

drucillia09 0

Yes. That is what I am saying. She has not died (my sister) but I imagine it would feel quite the same way, like someone who was very close and very important to you was ripped out of your life. She was exactly like a sibling to me; and I can promise you that I never fought with her, she never shared my secrets, her birthday presents/ christmas presents always made her happy, and she was always glad to come and chill with me (she was never too busy with boys or friends, never "too cool" to hang out with her big sister). So yes, even though I have yet to lose my biological sister, I can promise you that I still cry every time I think about losing my furry sister, and she's been gone since this summer.

shibainu519 0

pendatic: he said his dog dipshit.

Trust me, I have been in a similar situation, with my furry brother and sisters,however, losing a sibling is different. You know that a dog or a cat has a certain expectancy. A blood sibling u expect to grow old with.

perdix 29

I'm sorry about your loss. At least he said your brother's death was "almost as bad" as losing his cat. He could have gone for the full-monty, top-shelf, all-time jerk move saying, "Aw, that's nothing compared to me losing my cat."

his cat dying last spring term is the saddest thing i've heard all day.

To all the people here trying to equate losing a HUMAN life to that of an animals life: You guys are seriously and deeply disturbed. Your cat doesn't give a sh*t about you, and your dog just loves you because you feed it. People love their dogs because it takes no effort. They never disagree with you, they will always do what you want them to. It's pathetic.

You're an asshole. When my boyfriend's great-grandmother went to the hospital and died in short order, her dog refused to eat. He either sat at the door and whined, or sat on her favourite chair and whined. He was being given food, and attention, but he wasn't interested and in the end had to be put down. And that sort of thing is far from unusual. Cats are frequently more distant, but not always. You're ignorant if you think that animals aren't capable of actually caring for their owners. What I think should be considered here is that each individual is that people will mourn the deaths of those close to them, be them human or otherwise. Level of importance is placed based on precisely how close to them they were, and the species shouldn't matter in those regards. HOWEVER. In this case, OP, your friend clearly misspoke. Regardless of however they may view the severity of the situation, there is something known as TACT, and they shouldn't be putting down the loss of your sibling, clearly important to you, by trying to make the whole thing a competition. They very likely had the best intentions, but that's no excuse. I'm sorry for your loss.

I agree with 21. A dog's emotions amount to, "You take care of me. I love you." A cat's emotions are pretty much, "You take care of me. I love you/tolerate you" (depending on the cat). If you stopped taking care of your pet and threw them out on the street, they would stop loving you. A human's love is much more complex and it can be unconditional. A human will forgive your mistakes and love you in spite of your flaws, and that is a much richer and more valuable love. I'm willing to bet that most of the people saying "A life is a life" have never lost a close relative.

I have lost many, many relatives. I think it's stupid to assume that just because we have a view in opposition with yours that we haven't experienced similar things.

If a dog only loves because of being fed and cared for, explain to me how and why a dog will get excited at seeing certain people (that do not feed them, do not care for them, barely give them attention), and be sad when they leave?

dancingdoggy 4

I have seen dogs follow homeless people around just for the love - homeless people can't afford to give food to the dog, but still the dog remains. That's true love. Dogs don't just stick with you for the food; they actually do love you. My dogs are like my sisters - I'm at college now, and my dogs are at home, and yet they still love me, even though I'm not feeding them, and my younger dog only listens to me, even though my mom taught her all the stuff she knows. The FML isn't the comparison of cat to human, it's that the OP's friend said it was "almost" as bad. That's just rude.

Thunderbender 2

Though I agree equating losing an animal life to a human life is ignorant #21 your comment was almost just as ignorant.

# 30: You have it wrong... Unconditional love doesn't come from humans. It comes from dogs. If you believe otherwise, you'll have to look up your definition of 'unconditional'. Yes, I've lost close relatives... But the 'almost' part in this FML.... pretty... NOT tactful.

Bloodrush 0

#21 youre a complete idiot...it may be easy to love and animal but that isnt the reason people love them. You can speak for yourself, but dont speak for others.

VolleyballSMASH 1

my dog is slot harder to walk without my mom, and panics if we have suitcases out. she loves us, and we love her. we've had her. so long I can't remember life without her.

McCarthyBros 0

I love my animals a lot, but they're not worth nearly as much to me as my family. The people who support me, help me, and love me in return with no conditions. If anyone compared me losing my twin sister to their losing a pet (she's still alive, but it's the thought), I'd probably hurt them. I can't even comprehend losing her when I just think of it.

That person must not know what it's like at all to lose a relative you're close too. I'm sorry.

Losing anyone or anything is awful, it doesn't matter who or what it is. Yes, death happens, blah blah, but it's still sad and one persons emotions over their cat may be the same as your emotions for your brother. In fact some people have less emotions for their family than they do for their cat.

Thunderbender 2

Yes that's true but its also ****** up :/