By TheyObjectToTheUnholyUnion - 29/01/2016 12:51 - United States - Rochester

Today, I received yet another letter from a relative bitching me out for not involving my parents in my wedding. The parents who showed no interest in our relationship and then yelled at my fiancé and me when we announced it to them, calling us stupid, naive, heathens, and mentally ill. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 051
You deserved it 1 734

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did your parents really expect to be invited after that? They might be your parents but doesn't mean you have to accept that behavior at your wedding.

Comments

amongthischaos 18

My father and his wife emailed me after inviting them to my wedding even though we didn't talk for months. They told me they didn't support my decision and that they couldn't be a part of my life anymore. I think it's ridiculous that parents are willing to disown their children over things like love.

From how you write that, I'm guessing he's a divorced man. That being said, what does HE know about love, having a failed relationship and getting into a second one where the woman has just as bad an attitude about life as him? What a moron. They did you a favor. Be happy and successful and let them wallow.

25- sometimes parents freak out when their little girl marries young. They can't except that you are a grown-up now and can make your own decisions

leogachi 15

Parents are like that. They just want the best for us, sometimes they just don't show it that way. They think we can always get even better partners. I remember my parents did the same with my ex and still they do it with my current one

That's not a good thing and you shouldn't let them do that. I'm sure your partner does not appreciate it at all and would tell you but isn't sure how you'd react. Parents do not always want the best for us sometimes they just want control and that's why they need to be put in their place. It's called boundaries get some.

Girl, you don't bloody know these people. Not everyone gets married at 19. You have absolutely no empathy for OP whose parents are not supportive of one of the most important decisions of her life. For all you know, they could not like him because of ethnicity, religion, etc., he could be a truly wonderful person. And OP seems like such a kind-hearted person who is really affected by her parents' behaviour. FYL OP, and I hope you and your partner will have a wonderful life together !

Oh dear I'm so sorry I meant that for #30 !

bad_boyfriend 10

My sister didn't talk to my father for around 5 years. I cannot count the number of relatives who got in the middle and tried to tell her she should "forgive and forget". She finally stopped talking to those relatives as well. People who only care about "family harmony" and don't give a shit about your mental and emotional well being aren't worth you time.

Honestly they were probably right on some level. You're probably too young to be getting married and your fiancé probably isn't the right person for you. Your parents know best, they have more experience. YDI for thinking you know better than people who've experienced much more life than you. I bet you're only 19 or something, you idiot.

bad_boyfriend 10

You don't know anything about this person. Her parents could be racists, they could be alcoholics, they could have been neglectful and emotionally abusive her whole life. The only idiot around here is you, assuming you know anything other than what is in the text of this fml. Experience doesn't mean anything if you are a piece of shit as a person.

Well to me she just sounds like an ungrateful whiny bitch like so many other kids who think they're mature enough to get married but then get divorced less than a year later. If her family members are bitching her out, then she obviously did something wrong. ****!Don't you assholes use logic anymore?

30: are you trolling or are you actually that stupid? From the wording of the parents' comments, it seems highly likely that they're homophobic and that OP and his/her partner are a gay couple

30 is just desperate for attention, even if it's negative attention. "I just want someone to notice me!!!!!"

that's so sad that you're stuck in life thinking like this

This is the most idiotic thing I've ever read you have no idea what's going on, you don't know jack shit about OP's situation except for what was written in this FML there's no doubt more to this story and yet you make these retarded assumptions, how about you stop being an asshole and thinking you know everything about the situation

Wow are you a total idiot or what. What a ticking stupid comment no wonder you have so many negative down votes, here's another one.

They object to the unholy union? HA! Tis' but a scratch!

if you do break down and invite them. Make sure tje agree to certain rules of civility. And if they break the rules have them removed. I would hire a security guard / bouncer just for that purpose.

Sathane 21

Tell them to mind their own ******* business.

Ramos808 29

Your household is a wonderful place to be around the holidays!

DiscordianLife 5

Sounds like some relatives don't need an invitation, they are wrong to tell you whom you are to invite to your special day. I assume your a legal adult, and as such you get to make the call whom to invite or not. If they cannot respect that, then that says they are not respecting you.

Well you don't need to be surrounded by people who bring your relationship down and don't care enough for you to support you in your choices and wish you the best .