By Broke as a joke - 04/05/2019 04:00

Today, I received the bill for my trip to the ER months ago. Almost $1000 for a quick 2.5 hour stay, only to find out that I had bad gas from drinking far too much of the seltzer I had bought on sale. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 547
You deserved it 966

Same thing different taste

Top comments

America, **** yeah! I think, and I'll probably get criticized for this, that downing an excessive amount of seltzer, only to develop bad gas as a result, is a fairly big YDI. Having said that, I will retract my comment should you inform me that this was your first time ever drinking a carbonated beverage, and you genuinely had no idea how your body would react to it.

how how how does that cost $1000? no wonder people die if they don't want to get things checked out due to the bills! that is ridiculous

Comments

America, **** yeah! I think, and I'll probably get criticized for this, that downing an excessive amount of seltzer, only to develop bad gas as a result, is a fairly big YDI. Having said that, I will retract my comment should you inform me that this was your first time ever drinking a carbonated beverage, and you genuinely had no idea how your body would react to it.

how how how does that cost $1000? no wonder people die if they don't want to get things checked out due to the bills! that is ridiculous

My guess is OP doesn't have health insurance, and probably had to have a few tests before finding the answer. That can get pretty pricey in the good ol' USA. Freedom isn't free, you know.

Honestly, for 2.5 hrs, I’m surprised it was only $1000.

It costs that much to prevent people who aren’t sick at all but just plain ignorant or irresponsible from occupying medical professionals who could and should meanwhile be helping people who are in true danger.

Yes, but the people in danger don’t want the bills and don’t come in.

Next time you see seltzer on sale, buy enough that your savings exceed $1000, so you’ll be ahead!

Wadlaen 23

It's reading posts like this that make me appreciate being a norwegian, living in Norway. Some years ago, I was in a car accident, spent five weeks in a coma, and a half year in hospital after that, and didn't have to pay anything for it at all, because that's what our tax money is used for...

Which is why Norway is a strong contender for Happiest Nation on Earth. We’ve decide to focus our attention on going for the gold in obesity, carbon emissions, and firearm deaths. USA!USA!

But if you use tax money for healthcare... you won't be able to afford to rain down missiles on other countries!

Just curious but what is your overall effective tax rate on your paychecks?

Next time, lay on your stomach, force a fart, move on. Or don’t allow a next time. Either will work.

At my last then-without-insurance ER visit here in the US, the bill just from the ER doc himself (ie, a "sub-contractor") was $600. Another time when without insurance, a regularly-scheduled by-referral MRI cost me $1000 out-of-pocket. Sometimes the pain is too great to wait until regular business hours for a Walk-In clinic - esp. when your parents have already died from heart attacks.

You went to the ER because you were burping and farting? YDI.