By wayne - 07/12/2011 10:28 - New Zealand

Today, I overcame my fear of swimming in lakes and went for a swim. I got bitten by an eel. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 702
You deserved it 3 554

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I refuse to swim in any natural body of water. Been like that since I was a kid. Too many variables - fish, vegetation, rocks, dead things... I'll take a swimming pool any day.

every1luvsboners 11

You're lucky it didn't swim up in your urethra. This happened to me years ago. I still feel a burning sensation every time I piss.

Comments

Life_sucks_13 6

Eels don't live in lakes. May have been a water moccasin you should go get it checked.

deefan101 11

I'm sorry op I have that same fear... But there r no fresh water eels, there is however a big fish that sorta looks like an eel. Never the less, that really sucks

music2 9

Might pay to read more of the comments before commenting yourself - there are a number about TV show River Monsters & the fisherman Jeremy Wade ... I saw the show myself only a few weeks ago & yes the comments are accurate describing the type of freshwater NZ Eel that's aggresive towards humans

hateevryone 14

i bet you're scared again, huh?

fernclogger 5

What strikes me as odd is that a lake usually has murky and dark water. If you were swimming that must mean it was deep enough for you to not have time especially with your fear to look and see if it was an eel. So how do you know what it was? It was probably aquaman tickling you:)

Don't let this incident cast a dark outlook on swimming! It's just nicer to swim in a pool.

Salt water lakes? He's from New Zealand not the U.S so I imagine their aquatic life is a bit different.

Fresh water eels. Look up the New Zealand Longfin Eel. Then look up Jeremy Wade from the show River Monsters. He went to New Zealand to investigate rumors of people being attacked by these things in fresh water, not even deep water either. The eels are not afraid to go to shallow water, and they are aggressive.

the book/movie Jaws was based on a shark that lost his way. He got into a river connected to the ocean and traveled it to a connected lake. the lack of salt in the water he needed to function properly made him basically go bat shit attacking everything in sight. so there you go. oh yeah sorry you got bit. hope it heals soon.