By Hungryman - 15/01/2010 21:30 - France

Today, I ordered a Diet Coke with my meal from a fast food restaurant. Turns out, they didn't give me diet. My blood sugar spiked and I was sick for hours later. I'm a diabetic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 391
You deserved it 8 250

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

YDI for drinking even diet soda...that stuff is terrible for you, honestly.

pretty sure regular soda is worse for him.

newsgit 0

you're saying that like it's a moral crime.

Xzer0 0

Has to be fake, There is a definite distinguishable taste between diet and regular coke, even in france as i have been there. As a diabetic myself i would have taken more insulin. Stop being a little spineless bastard. oh wait you're from france nevermind.

never has anything that extreme happened to me. i'm a diabetic as well. but i happen to agree that i can really tell when a drink isn't diet. tastes too syrupy. (i was diagnosed when i was 4 and my grandpa has diabetes so i've only grown up on diet sodas)

As a diabetic, you should be able to tell the difference between diet and regular soda. Retard.

catastrophicsock 0

YDI if you can't tell the difference, dumbass

guys whos critisizing him, wouldnt he taste it, realize its reg., then get sick for trying it?

No. He would not get sick from an initial sip it takes to realize it's regular. I'm a diabetic & one sip is not going to raise his blood sugar. & even if he drank the whole cup he should have taken insulin right after and then he wouldn't have been sick. That's why this is either made up or he just doesn't take the proper care of himself. The people that are diabetic are the ones that are saying these things because we know from our own personal experiences. The people standing up for him do not have the disease and therefore have no clue about what we're talking about when we say he should have known or if he hadn't he should have just taken proper medication. This could have easily been fixed. I've been served regular soda on a few occasions and i've never been "sick for hours." He wasn't taking care of himself and therefore he deserves what happened to him. Mistakes happen. People need to learn how to adjust.

sals029 - some people have very unstable diabetes. I have a friend like that (in her early 60s now) and you can't just give her a shot of insulin/ a bit of sugar to get her out of a hypo or hyper. It can take hours to pull her out of it. Usually her problem is that she hasn't eaten enough or it's too hot (we live in a very hot, humid, tropical place and it played havoc with her diabetes til they got air-conditioning about 6 or 7 years ago) and she won't suddenly get better after having some food, it takes a long time. Just coz I don't have diabetes doesn't mean I know nothing about it. Yes most people should be able to manage their diabetes better than this but some people are just so sick it is not that simple.

Obviously your handle on English grammar is much better.

franfran_fml 0

There's plenty of fast food places where they fill your drink for you 'cause they don't want people getting free refills and they don't want people bringing in their own cups and abusing the soda fountain. So that is not a very good reason to call this fake. Also, this is a very good thing for a lawsuit, you just need the camera footage of the employee filling the cup with regular soda and proof that you're diabetic.

franfran_fml 0

You don't have to be so mean about it. I love the French too, but it doesn't mean you have to insult them and call their FML fake. Also some people can't taste the difference, especially diabetics. It's like how some people can taste the difference between Pepsi and Coca Cola, while others can't.

all of you saying 'ooh YDI for not being able to tell the differnce and shit' fast food chains use post mix drinks and if he hasnt had diet coke/ coke for awhile, he may not have been able to tell the difference

Not everyone is saying the OP deserves it for that simple reason. It's also for the reason that he's diabetic and most people who are diabetic are very careful about how they treat themselves. If he was reckless with his condition then he/she does deserve it.