By Hungryman - 15/01/2010 21:30 - France

Today, I ordered a Diet Coke with my meal from a fast food restaurant. Turns out, they didn't give me diet. My blood sugar spiked and I was sick for hours later. I'm a diabetic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 391
You deserved it 8 250

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

you should make a complaint and demand some sort of compensation. This is the sort of situation where suing could be an acceptable route to take. That's freaking dangerous. I know someone who has such unstable diabetes that drinking a normal soda could almost kill her.

Suing over shit like this is totally ridiculous. Maybe people who have special dietary needs should be more responsible and take action to be completely in charge of the items they consume, instead of relying on other people to prepare said items for them.

the OP requested food that was ok for him. The restaurant had a duty of care. If you go to a restaurant and request a certain food, you should be given that food. If you have a peanut allergy and order a meal without peanuts, would you expect to comb through it looking for peanuts before eating it? I probably would just coz I'm paranoid like that, but it shouldn't be the consumer's responsibility when they've paid someone to give them a certain food. I'm not *advocating* that he sue, I'm just saying it's a much more understandable reason for suing than a lot of the other idiot cases that you hear about in the US.

SydneyJoLynn 0

No. This is NOT a reason to sue. And if it was, there wouldn't be a poor diabetic on this planet, because it has (likely) happened to everyone. I have accidentally received regular cola at least 3 times, and only once did it cause a higher blood glucose -- and I was able to catch it because I TESTED MY BLOOD GLUCOSE ONE HOUR LATER. The OP was at fault for missing so many opportunities to prevent the sickness later. 1. Detecting some kind of warning that the cola didn't taste right. 2. Feeling the symptoms of a high blood sugar. 3. Testing 1-2 hour(s) after eating.

the OP is an idiot for eating fast food. the bread contains enough sugar to make you sick

if your diabetic you shouldn't be eating fast food anyways, carbs break down into sugar you deserved it

if you cant taste the difference between diet and regular you are a moron and deserve to be sick.

newsgit 0

because of a bad sense of taste that they can't fix? You're a moron.

I've been diabetic for 25 years and this has happened to me 1 out of every 10 visits to any restaurant. Either learn to tell the difference or order water. QQ more.

xthislife87 0

That's what you get for getting ordering Diet Coke at fast food restaurant.

logieebearr 0

sue their ass..that's horrible,hope ya feel better!

Good grief. I didn't read all the comments, so maybe this was said elsewhere, but just so everyone knows: 1. Knowing someone with diabetes doesn't make you an expert. 2. There are two types of diabetes. Type 1 means your body does not make produce adequate insulin. It has no known cause and usually has to be treated with insulin injections or pump therapy. Type 2 means you produce insulin, but for some reason, your body does not respond to it as it should. It is usually caused by unhealthy lifestyle habits and/or obesity. It's also treated with injections most of the time, but sometimes insulin pills are used instead. There have been cases where a person with Type 2 diabetes completely eradicated it with proper diet and exercise. 3. Every case of diabetes is different. Some people are very brittle diabetics and have very strict meal plans. However, some people have flexible management routines, and can eat pretty much whatever they want to if they just boost their insulin. And lots of diabetics aren't required to check their BS after eating, even by their doctors. 4. Many diabetics use carb ratios to know how much insulin to take, so they just account for the carbs they eat without having to plan ahead and all that. So if the OP thought he was drinking diet, and couldn't taste the difference (as some people can't), then he would have had no reason to take the insulin required to compensate for the carbs. Then he wouldn't know his blood sugar was high until he was already starting to feel bad. 5. To everyone saying "YDI, diet stuff is bad for you," shut up. For a diabetic, it's a lot better to drink a diet soda and risk these supposed "harmful chemicals" than to drink regular and risk a hyperglycemic episode.

Unless your a recent diabetic you would know that you are fine to eat/drink sugary stuff as long as you adjust your insuline intake. You would be just one of the hypocrits ordering a diet soda with an incredibly fattening meal to 'compensate'

i know a diabetic whose diabetes is far too unstable to do that. She could kill herself, or at least go into a coma, if she ingested too much sugar and then tried to "adjust" her insulin intake. It wouldn't work.