By TaraBURGER - 17/09/2013 07:57 - United States

Today, I met my birth mother. My dad won't talk to me, my mom won't stop crying and thinks I'm replacing her, and the rest of my family won't stop calling me a bitch. I'm 21, and I just wanted to meet the woman who pushed me head-first out of her vagina. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 361
You deserved it 4 338

TaraBURGER tells us more.

My parents still think that I'm trying to replace them. I don't think they understand that this woman is only technically my mother. She isn't my mommy and never could be. I also found out I have a little sister, which is kinda cool. I haven't even told them about her. I'd get booted out of the family tree. I tried to talk to my parents about it, but they just shut me down every time and pulled the whole, "Are we not good enough for you?" bullshit on me. I went on Facebook and found her right away. She's a very nice lady, but I still just call her by her first name. Like I said, she isn't my momma. Also, I saw something on here about the real mom vs. biological mom debate. Personally, I think saying "real mom" is a bit weird. My real mom is the one that changed my diapers, read to me at night, and comforted me when I came home from school crying. I think biological mom is less offensive to adoptive mothers. I have and will never use the term "real mom" to describe my biological mother.

Top comments

Just ignore it, OP. They'll stop being touchy when they see that you can love them AND at least know your birth mother.

The_9th_Doctor 18

good for you. you should have that right. screw what everyone else thinks

Comments

This woman never took care of you, she never loved you, she gave you up. Wouldn't you be offended if you took care of a child for 18+ years and they went to seek out the person that gave them up, disregarding your feelings?

How do you know she never loved her? That's a pile of horsecrap. Birth parents frequently give up the child to give them a better life than they can offer. Giving up a child can be an incredibly selfless act of love.

Merylwen 24

@49: I would agree with all you say except the "never loved you" part. We don't know that. There could be very good reason she gave OP up for adoption. But, as a matter of fact, she did give her up and she didn't take care of her. The people who did love her and did take care of her are the only parents she needs and if I was in her situation I wouldn't hurt them this much, out of love and respect for them, just to meet someone that never played any role in my life.

I'll correct myself, probably never loved her.

usually people want to meet their birth parents out of curiosity and get to know why they were adopted and such. I'm adopted and I have met my birth mother a few times and my adopted parents are fine with it, it's only natural to feel like you need/want to meet your birth parents also the birth mother probably did love her but couldn't due to medical reasons lifestyle reasons and wanted the best for her.

She gave me up because she wasn't in a good situation and wanted me to have a good life. She got her shit together later but it was too late to get me back obviously. I don't have any bad feelings towards her, and I understand where my parents (and you) are coming from. I still wanted to know my heritage and medical history and know why she gave me up. like I said in later comments, I just wanted to meet her. I don't want her to be my new mommy.

Pona, you don't know this woman! Don't speak for her. She probably did love her kid but couldn't keep her, that's how it usually is. Honestly it's good to meet your birth mother because then you can get your medical history.

1jordan1 11

The OP isn't disregarding anyone's feelings. I'm sure she's talked to her family about it and tried to reason with them. And who are you to say that she never loved the child she gave up? Often a child is given up because the mother loves it TOO much.

Beepbeep7 14

Your parents sound selfish.I'm sure it was hard for them but they should at least try to understand why you would want to meet her.

YDI. That woman didn't want you, while your family did. Of course they're upset

Because you obviously know the situation. Maybe the bio mother thought it was best to put OP up for adoption.

Holy_Schnikes 23

My mother had me when she was 19. She was taking Birth Control at the time and she still had me and still raised me but she could have easily said I'm 19 I can't take care of a child on my own. If I put her up for adoption she has a better chance at a better future than if I keep her. Sh!t happens and if she had put me up for adoption I would try to find her because what if something medical was happening to me? I would want/need to know the medical history of my birth family. (Example: At least three people in my family had/ is battling cancer. My Grandma's sister married a man that died of a heart attack at 50 and her son after battling cancer died at 50 of a heart attack. Mental heath issues run on both sides of my family. These are things a person needs to know.) In School we had projects where we had to talk about our heritage, I would want to know if I'm Irish, German, Italian, half Native American half Nordic or something. There is nothing wrong with tracking down your birth parents ever. OP sounds like a sweet girl who knows who loves her and knows who was there for her all these years.

Geez your family sounds crazy. Why can't they support you? Are they all that selfish and self centered? I'm glad you met her. Now you either have closure or a new friend. Good luck.

ravenh1979 13

How do u know it wasn't a cesarian??

You are 21!! You can pick n choose who you want in your life

BriCx 8

There is nothing wrong with receiving closure. Just don't forget who your real family is. They did raise you when hey didn't have to, after all. They will get over it, though.

finalyearsofhate 22

Agreed. I'm adopted and my real parents are the ones who raised me.

I never understood why people want to meet the woman who carried you, but then was over it. But I think it's your choice, and your parents should know better, or at least listen to you when you explain it has nothing to do with replacing them.

There are a lot of reasons to want to know your birth mother. There are going to be times when there are questions you need answered that only she can. As much of an ass as my niece's birth father is, we always gave her the choice of having contact. She has needed the family medical history from that side as well as other things. Curiosity alone is a good enough reason anyway.