By TaraBURGER - 17/09/2013 07:57 - United States

Today, I met my birth mother. My dad won't talk to me, my mom won't stop crying and thinks I'm replacing her, and the rest of my family won't stop calling me a bitch. I'm 21, and I just wanted to meet the woman who pushed me head-first out of her vagina. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 361
You deserved it 4 338

TaraBURGER tells us more.

My parents still think that I'm trying to replace them. I don't think they understand that this woman is only technically my mother. She isn't my mommy and never could be. I also found out I have a little sister, which is kinda cool. I haven't even told them about her. I'd get booted out of the family tree. I tried to talk to my parents about it, but they just shut me down every time and pulled the whole, "Are we not good enough for you?" bullshit on me. I went on Facebook and found her right away. She's a very nice lady, but I still just call her by her first name. Like I said, she isn't my momma. Also, I saw something on here about the real mom vs. biological mom debate. Personally, I think saying "real mom" is a bit weird. My real mom is the one that changed my diapers, read to me at night, and comforted me when I came home from school crying. I think biological mom is less offensive to adoptive mothers. I have and will never use the term "real mom" to describe my biological mother.

Top comments

Just ignore it, OP. They'll stop being touchy when they see that you can love them AND at least know your birth mother.

The_9th_Doctor 18

good for you. you should have that right. screw what everyone else thinks

Comments

TheDrifter 23

I get the feeling we're missing something from this story. If the whole family is calling OP a bitch, perhaps she did/said something to upset them while informing the family she intended to meet with her birth mother? I just can't see the whole family getting pissed off and her mother fearing OP would abandon her without some sort of valid reason for their feelings.

1jordan1 11

That is true, a very good point to make. I hadn't considered that. Perhaps he had done something to set them off. Both are possibilities.

Some people just want to know. And some people will never understand that

katie1474 4

you have a right to be curious about where you came from.

Being adopted and raised by parents not biologically yours doesn't mean you have to put your own wants and needs away for the sake of theirs. A child is not some kind of possession. Yes their feelings should be considered but you don't actually owe your life to them. Op, it's sad that they responded that way towards you and I hope they come to understand why you wanted to meet her.

If you were a foster parent, who gave her heart and soul in the development of an individual she regards as her own child for 21 years only to find her/him to be more interested in the one who played no part in it. How would you feel? Seeking the truth is one thing. But being tactful is also important.

1jordan1 11

Wow that was an incredibly moronic thing to say. He said he MET his birth mother, not that he ran off to live with her and goes to her for guidance. And even if he did do that, that's not the parents business. He's 21, not 12, they don't have legal guardianship over him now, and he can make his own choices.

nurchok 15

If you wanted to meet your birth mom, it's your choice and your family should honor it. Talk to your mom though, if she raised you, it might be a subconscious fear, so do talk and explain that she has nothing to be afraid. Good luck and hope things work out for you...

I would be upset too. My cousin was adopted and if he met his birth mom, I'd be sad that he would spend time and get attached to her. It's not unreasonable to be upset.

SparklyCuntt 12

Keep your chin up OP, they'll stop being ridiculous soon enough.

Wow! your family seems to be sensitive af and selfish!!!! Wtf. Tell them to grow a pair and stfu.

lukep135 6

Wow you are all a bunch of morons, if you found out you were adopted today would you even freaking care? Why would you? Your parents are the ones who raised you, it's not like they were taking care of you so you can one day meet up with your "real parents" seriously it baffles me why would you even lose a second of sleep over it. I can see wanting to meet them just for the heck of it, but it does not matter at all if you've never met them

You're an idiot. Can you imagine living a huge part of your life and then having that bombshell dropped on you? It's not just 'oh who are my parents' (which is a perfectly valid question and everybody has the right to want to know their birth parent/s) but it's also a matter of stuff like- 'do I have any siblings I didn't know of?', 'are there any hereditary medical issues I'm susceptible to?' and 'why was I given up for adoption?'. You SAY this hypothetical scenario wouldn't make you bat an eyelid but I bet if your parents told you that you were adopted you'd change your tone quick smart.

As a person that values truth, if I found out today that my parents lied to me for 22 years, I would be EXTREMELY UPSET and care VERY MUCH.

1jordan1 11

PERFECT RESPONSE. I could have never translated my words into something with that much accuracy. Good job.