By Vassy - 04/12/2012 18:51 - Canada - Montreal

Today, I made a positive remark to the owner of my local groceries store for employing a special needs girl. Not only is the girl not mentally handicapped, she's also the owner's daughter. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 665
You deserved it 32 769

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's just so hard to tell with some people...

"Your daughter is pretty handicapped around the store. Shit, I meant HANDY. You GOTTA believe me!"

Comments

Maybe you should get your facts straight before sounding like a complete ass.

I agree with you. She may have thought that she was being nice but she shouldn't have said anything at all. People should never assume that someone is handicapped.

I don't understand why people act so openly surprised by a handicapped person that is successful. Why can't the world treat its populace with equality?

Because let's face it for some people with disabilities it's very difficult to live their day to day lives, so managing to have a job is a real achievement :) it doesn't matter OP, you were being supportive and congratulating them, don't worry that you made a mistake :) happens to all of us

29- I completely understand where you're coming from. I have a personal experience with it. A close friend of mine's daughter (I babysit her) has some serious mental disabilities, and I would be so proud of her if she could get herself a job at any point in her life. But, I wouldn't want other people around her treating her like she's different. It breaks my heart to see her peers tiptoe around her, or for some adults to speak to her differently, like she's stupid. She's starting to realize that she's not the same as everyone around her, and it has turned her into a shy little 6-year-old. If people would treat her normally, I know my little Abby would still be as bubbly and conversational as she used to be. As for the OP, it was just a misunderstanding. But if the girl OP was referring to actually was mentally handicapped, I could see how it would affect her self-esteem to hear that be said. Just because someone has a handicap doesn't mean that strangers should walk around and critique their lives. But I know that the OP only meant well. But sometimes the things you think will help will only hurt.

Very well said, laurenlovesjb. Very articulate and thought provoking; thanks for sharing.

Its very rare that handicaps are treated equally. I have been disabled all my life and people were shocked to learn that I have held several different jobs, and have previously stored at lest 25 hours a week whilst holding said jobs. I have gotten through all the dirty looks and snarky comments by devoting a thick skin.In a perfect world we would all be treated equally , t however society preys on the weak and different. I hope this helps you understand from a disabled persons perspective. Have a nice day.

What made you think she was special needs? Was she trying to scroll down on a paper?

Positive remark? You mean negative remark? Also, just a reminder to always watch what you say.

unknown_user5566 26

17- No, OP meant positive remark. Hence the wording "I made a positive remark".

KiddNYC1O 20

At least you were being positive! But fyl I would be pissed if someone thought my kid was handicapped

I think your kid is handicap. Op could have checked to see if she handicapped. Ask what's 1+1 if she replies 2 she isn't. if she replies 3 she wants the D.

19- I have a buddy that has a very sweet, challenged, 8 yr old little boy. And a year ago, someone thought to walk up to them and make a comment on this. Now, at least Op meant well. :p This clown said; " Hey, he one of those ******* retardies? Why'd you have him?" I'm not going to debate whether or not my friend laying him the **** out was Right or not, (and I myself would probably do that too, honestly), but quite often the message's intent should hold more value than the actual combination of words that make it up, IMHO. :p

What did we learn today? Don't treat mentally handicapped people differently.

Ahh sometimes you have to :( treat them fairly and with respect yes :D but if there's things another person could do easily that they struggle with, help them/support them in it, don't just pretend they don't find it difficult :/

Some faith was restored in humanity. I absolutely agree with 21 & 35. Treat special needs people with respect and always help them if they need it.

That's F* hilarious! Nothin you can do but laugh and say ill be more than happy to take your disability girl on a first date... Haha take one for the team or be fired!! ChasingTheSun

unknown_user5566 26

26- Fired? OP isn't an employee, she's a customer.

26- Turns out the girl isn't actually disabled, also op can't be fired, as they do not work at the grocery store. And for future reference you don't need to sign at the end of your comment

gmc_blossom 21

26, are you mentally handicapped? It's okay if you are.

"...Take your disability girl on a first date." Seriously? That is NOT how you refer to someone with a disability. That is just rude.

mcBe 6

I wanna know what the girl did to seem mentally challenged.

heyheywaddup 7

You'll enjoy going there ! Lol