By Anonymous - 18/02/2013 07:44 - Canada - Montreal

Today, I had to spend a few hours in a hospital with a toddler and a preschooler projecting vomit all over, because my husband thinks "expiration dates are for pussies." FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 288
You deserved it 4 603

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How did OP end up with theses kids? Expired condoms?

I am assuming these are your children... so why the hell would you let their FATHER dictate a "policy" that could potentially poison them? You need to assert yourself more, especially on matters of safety, for your children's sake if not your own.

Comments

rabidpeach 5

sorry sweetie i know you have good intentionss and all but what do you hope the hospital will do for them? i mean other than hydration, you just sorta wait these things out.

BellaBelle_fml 23

"Other than hydration…" Hydration is the number one thing that children, and everyone else of any age, need when they have been vomiting or have been having diarrhea. Without proper hydration, even when healthy, they could have died had they been seriously dehydrated and left untreated. When you are dehydrated the blood is thickened due to not enough fluids to keep it at the proper viscosity and it isn't adequate amount to maintain circulation and oxygenation throughout the body. Also, your electrolytes are severely depleted causing involuntary muscle movement and even seizures. I've had that happen to me before because I have a severe gastrointestinal disease that makes having the stomach flu and food poisoning even harsher on my body. Now I know that you can normally rehydrate your children at home by giving them water or Gatorade, to replenish their electrolytes, but sometimes that simply isn't enough.

rabidpeach 5

so... what's wrong with blankets and gatorade? no she needs to burden the hospital with a huge mess so they can give the kids water thru a needle. remunds me of folks who get medical help for the flu. other than vitamin c and water, aint nothing the hospital got that you dont at home

I seriously hope it wasn't sour cream. Love the stuff, but past the date, not a snowballs chance in the deepest circle of hell!

Actually the deepest circle is frozen over, so a snowball has a very good chance there

titibug823 11

What your husband did was irresponsible. Normally, some food is just fine for at least a little while after. However, that does not make it ok that he gave it to your preschooler and toddler!

Yeah! Expiration dates stew for *******! Just like seatbelts and helmets!

jazzmancarron 11

this would warrant a swift kick to the balls

Your husband should have to be there, not you.

She might have been there too. I wouldn't let my husband take my kids to the hospital and not go myself.

92: probably because her kids are sick to the point of being in the hospital? what mom WOULDN'T go see their children in that case?

Did you make him eat/drink whatever was expired afterwards? Since expiration dates are for "*******" I'm sure he wouldn't have minded.

How long was this expire for? & why was it not already thrown out?

Because you don't necessarily check everything in your fridge every day. Once a week, I clear out anything that's no good, and in between, if I happen to grab something and notice it's past it's date and gone off.

beanthemouse 13

I'm surprised you're still calling this nut head your "husband" instead of your "ex" or "boyfriend". Not saying you should divorce him, but if a child with food poisoning that could possibly KILL them does not convince him, I would probably regret saying "I do" that day.

I think you should tell your husband that feeding your kids is no longer his responsibility. It's fine if he, a fully grown adult, wants to eat out-of-date food as its his own health he's risking, but it's a bit different for a little kid who doesn't know any better.

93 - Everything else not involved with food or safety.