By Anonymous - 14/01/2015 07:18 - United States - Las Vegas

Today, I had to explain to my grandmother why, "What a nice singing voice! He doesn't sound black at all!" is not a compliment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 058
You deserved it 3 055

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Grandparents always have the best racist compliments. My grandpa loves everyone, but hates every race. So he always says that person is a good insert racial epithet here after they leave.

I once had to tell my mom that saying "you're out of your cotton picking mind" was racist.

Comments

Listen to rap, and anyone that tries to rap. Most of them sound the same.

I don't know what rap you listen to, but the rap I listen to is very well written, and very well spoken, even if it is very quickly.

Compare an Australian singer to Iggy Azalea. You'll see the difference

As a black person myself, you can tell. Listen to let's say Louie Armstrong and then listen to Frank Sinatra. Listen to N'Sync then to Boys 2 Men

Also from your side of the pond, Scroobius Pip.

As a counter example, listen to Paulo Cesar Baruk and Djavan... seriously, you can't TELL who IS black or white by their voices... you only have styles and characteristics that are more likely to be sung by white or black performers, hence the "black/white sounding", but without limitation or prohibition based on skin colour ;)

I'm not black but I agree there's a definite difference in the tone of voice, even in some cases of talking you can tell and not lingo or stereotypically speaking

I think her grandmother's generation would have referred to it as Jive...

tazmanmike2013 17

It's not racist to recognize difference. It's our differences that make us stronger. Just think, if we were all identical the world would be a pretty boring place. So, yes there are difference and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out, it's how it's pointed out that can either be positive or negative.

incoherentrmblr 21

Rick Astley is the perfect example for this. Many people thought he was black. Complete opposite...

Maybe there is a statistical distribution of particular "tones" which are more likely to be present on blacks than whites, or something of the like... Yet, once upon a time there were Michael Jackson's voice :P

Grandparents always have the best racist compliments. My grandpa loves everyone, but hates every race. So he always says that person is a good insert racial epithet here after they leave.

Haha! Reminds me of my Gram. One day she said "Well, he's a nicely dressed Indian." & I told her she couldn't say that, it was rude. She comes back with "Fine, a well dressed Native American then!" Ahh, old ppl. They loose their filter as the years pass.

I think a lot of it was how they were raised as well, it's like they literally don't know they're being offensive or racist in some cases. That's why they need their grandchildren to teach them, just like Op did.

I think people are way too sensitive and over react about what's racist. We are going way to far with the political correctness. People need thicker skin.

You're dismissive-ness & thinking that people are being "too sensitive" to something that actually gets people killed EVERY SINGLE DAY is part of the problem. YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. "It's just a joke." "Get over it." "There are way more awful things." "You're being over dramatic." "You're being too serious."

I once had to tell my mom that saying "you're out of your cotton picking mind" was racist.

This is just a stab in the dark, but I think you're wrong. Wittgenstein has taught us that "meaning is use". If your mother isn't racist and wasn't trying to be racist, what she said wasn't "racist". It was no more racist than you quoting it.

tazmanmike2013 17

That is not a racist comment at all.

littleteapot 21

I had to explain to my mom why she shouldn't say she's going to try to "Jew him down" when negotiating a deal.

Saying "a stab in the dark" is offensive to gays, bro. (reference to an older FML)

#26 very well played! Your comment and argument made my day. Thank you.

The thing is though, we have to tell her things like that. My mom very frequently says inappropriate or racist things without knowing their meaning, so we try to stop them as best we can. For example, she almost called somebody a twat because she thought it was slang for friend.

Was that Darude Sandstorm? I am curious.

Is she referring to Sam Smith? Just a guess.

well sam smith isn't black, but people think he is because of his unique voice.

Psycho_Babydoll 26

More likely George Ezra over Sam Smith. But it could literally have been anyone, OP never mentioned if it was a celebrity or not.

littleteapot 21

True. I thought Sam Smith was black until he performed love at an awards show. He has a more soulful voice than a lot of the bubblegum pop singers out right now.

My mistake. I read the FML too fast. I thought OP's grandmother said that his singing voice sounded "black" like how people mistake Sam Smith to be black because of his voice :)

xluciferx666 21

All I can think of when I read FML's like these is the racist scene in clerks II

She probably shouldnt voice her opinions in public.

As a kid i used to just assume Amy Whinehouse was black based on her voice. In retrospect that was pretty dumb.

Haha its hard for grandparents to keep up these days :)