By Anonymous - 13/06/2014 09:27 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, I had dinner for the first time with my boyfriend's parents. It was awkward enough without his mom asking, "So, what do you do for fun, besides my son?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 743
You deserved it 6 140

Same thing different taste

Top comments

At least she has a sense of humour.OP your lucky!

Proper answer: nothing. Proceed to put on sunglasses, and moonwalk out of the room.

Comments

martin8337 35

Either she was being funny or this situation is awkward.

novapine 19

She's got a good sense of humor! You lucked out.

Some parents just don't understand that there can be modest people out there. I'm sure you don't deserve that, OP! Good luck!

Having a sense of humor is better than what my boyfriend's parents do. I've been with my boyfriend for over a year and his dad has never once said hi to me. It's so awkward

Say hi to his father... He'll be forced to say it back.

QueenofWheels 13

he might just look at her funny.

Or plop onto the couch next to him and say, "What's up pops?". He'll respond, I'd bet $50 on it :)

I don't understand why all of you assume why she was making a joke. Sure, the probability may be high, but face the fact that some parents are just assholes. No offense to OP's boyfriend's parents, I'm just trouble shooting.

BBlah 26

I would've just laughed and continued on with the conversation, at least your boyfriend's mother has a good sense of humor, OP! (:

olpally 32

"Your Sister" hahaha. What a great mom!

"I swim, paint, get myself out of awkward situations, do yoga... you know."

"Excuse me!?" I wouldn't care if it was a bad joke or not, that comment was totally disrespectful and I wouldn't stand for it. You get whatever you give.

How is it disrespectful? Her boyfriends mom isn't allowed to make jokes?

Saying things that would make the OP feel awkward isn't the best way to get to know her son's new girlfriend. It was uncalled for. I'm surprised that a lot of people think this is appropriate conversation for a "first" meeting. It was the mom trying to be a smart ass and trying to embarrass her. If you read some of the up voted comments written. it's people saying nasty things right back. Why should it have come to this?

35- Yes, but doing unto others as you would have them do unto you is what got her into trouble in the first place.

35: Putting people in awkward or stressful situations can show you a lot about someone. You say this is rude while others might just say you are sensitive or weak. How you react shows wether you are quick witted, if you can banter, if your confidence easily thrown off, and are you a checkers instinctive re-acter or a chess player. Lawyers do this all the time. Some people even just call it conversation. Would I want a parent to act like this? No. Would I expect an analogous version of this in a job interview? Absolutely. And whenever I have a child I will make sure to really know who they end up with.

39, so if someone is shy and doesn't want to be open about their sex life than they're considered weak? If the mother was saying it jokingly and trying to lighten the mood that's totally fine. But if they were being disapproving or doing it as you say just to see what someone is made of and see whether they're "weak" or not than I don't think its appropriate or fair.

39, If you don't stand your ground and just accept her behaviour then you're weak. If you say things like "your husband" etc.. you're just as rude. If you laugh it off and "pretend" to like her humour, you're fake. How does the OP win in this situation? She can't. FYL

91hayek 31

Enslaved I agree because I personally prefer a separation between those in authority and me and my friends. Because when you have a problem in the relationship or a problem with the authority figure, the lines of friend and mother/father have become blurred that you can't really find footing to pick a side or stand up for yourself; and it will be more difficult or hurt more to do so. I'd accept the joke from his sister or someone of our demographic, but I'd like his mother to be his mother thanks. A lot of people don't set boundaries and that lets others define them and eventually dictate what they want. #39 is accurate when lawyers do this when they litigate; there is usually an ulterior motive so OP should be wary, especially for a first meeting like you said.

so how was it awkward beside her question?