By Needsanewjob - 10/01/2012 15:34 - United States

Today, I guess I accidentally left Facebook open on my work computer while I went to the bathroom, because my boss updated my status to "Unemployed." FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 506
You deserved it 55 411

Same thing different taste

Top comments

desireev 17

One of the first things an employer of an office environment will tell you is "Stay off of Facebook!" Sorry, OP.. But YDI. You knew it was a rule and you broke it.

Comments

Hahaha! That was ******* awesome of your boss!! YDI by the way. Do your job next time.

brunokona 4

FYL damn. Clean history too setting, Internet options, delete browsing history

thatdesertdude 7

Only works if your working for a very small company. Any employer large enough to have an IT department will be able to track your browsing habits. Simple solution: Use work computers for work, Facebook can wait.

Torva_fml 16

Uh... those programs used for tracking workers' online activity don't run at the workers' desktop computers. Your office's computers (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc) are at an Intranet that's behind a firewall. All connections to the Internet must necessarily pass through the firewall. The firewall offers a lot of services for the Intranet: - Firewalling to permit or deny access to network services considered harmful. - DHCP for assigning network numbers to each computer - NAT so that each computer can connect from the inside to the outside. - A proxy that caches frequently accessed web pages and tracks what websites are being accessed by whom. - Usually, computers from the outside can't connect to the computers at the Intranet. Port forwarding allows certain connections from the outside to the inside. - etc.

The_Troller 14

You just got owned! And your boss has an epic sense of humor.

hateevryone 14

well, i hope you can take a hint.

So...where do you work? I would like to make a job application.

Facebook has taken over. Why risk your job to get on a social network?

desireev 17

Facebook is the worst! It's turning the world into cyber-zombies!! It ruins friendships and relationships.. And now it's causing people to lose their jobs! In all seriousness, OP should have known better. The workplace is NOT the place to be on Facebook!

Ergayles 9

^ I disagree. It's not facebook itself that ruins relationships, gets people fired, etc. It's the people on there that choose to create drama, and idiots like op that decide to use the company computer to update his status because he couldn't wait a couple hours to do it. Facebook is cool, but it'll only get better if people moderated their use of it. Just my opinion.

32- it's how people use Facebook, and people's reaction to Facebook. Did op really waste valuable time by checking Facebook? Maybe not, but companies nowadays want you to be constantly working, which actually lowers productivity. We aren't supposed to be performing menial, repetitive tasks over and over throughout the day. It's exhaustive and there's a severe lack of stimulation. I allow people to distract themselves while in lab, as long as they get the work done and don't abuse it, I don't really care.

or you can talk to him about getting your job back or report him for invasion of privacy.

It's not invasion of privacy if the employee (OP) left his facebook account logged in on a WORK COMPUTER. You have no expectation of privacy on computers owned by the company, therefore, no invasion of privacy. If the cops came in to your cubicle to search it your boss can give them the go ahead, because you don't own your cubicle, the boss does. Same with lockers at public schools if the principal gives the go ahead (not sure about private schools, though I would assume it's the same.)

Invasion of privacy? It was the work computer. There is no privacy when it comes to property that the company owns.

On top of what they said, companies can keep logs or even screen watch from another computer to keep things in check. No privacy what so ever...

jerseyboy732 16

Wouldn't it be ironic if you worked for MySpace?

I can only hope he WASN'T JOKING. Do your job at work and save your social networking bullshit for when you are on YOUR time. Don't expect to get paid for ******* around, asshat. You're the exact reason why Internet filters were invented. Well, that and to prevent children from viewing evil websites like "Fmylife.com".

Mmmmmm.... I wanted to thumb down your comment and then I realized you used the word "asshat".......... Thumbs up! I completely disagree with you though.

KiddNYC1O 20

Maybe op was on lunch break...