By passedout - 14/07/2017 05:00

Today, I got my blood drawn for a donation and they didn't warn me that I was borderline anemic. I passed out in the middle of Walgreens and woke up to people just standing there, staring. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 587
You deserved it 476

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The people who draw blood when you're giving a donation are not your doctor. They had no way of knowing what conditions you have before hand unless you tell them. They are not at fault here.

ImminentDisaster 12

Would they know that before taking the blood and sending it to be analysed?

Comments

If you're in the US, they did an anemia check before the donation and your iron level was high enough to safely donate. I'm anemic and struggle to get into the safe range but I've never passed out in all my years of donating even when I barely passed. More likely the cause of you passing out was a sudden drop in blood pressure. My sister has low blood pressure normally and another friend is a very petite woman and they've both fainted on occasion after donating. They still donate though, they just rest afterwards before moving and have someone else drive them home. source: 5 gallon blood donor and 3 year blood bank volunteer.

chessu 21

So, I've donated blood twice. The first time I passed out, but being nerveous and not eating probably didn't help. The second time I went, I didn't pass out, but I did go pale and they kept checking my stats for a long while. First of all, you are NOT meant to feel dizzy AT ALL, maybe a tad weakish, but not actually dizzy. I said the same thing to the doctors how I thought it was normal and they said that that's a myth. Secondly, they measure your hemoglobin when donating. Mine has always been normal, if anything maybe a tad over hence I was cleared for donating. A few months later, I'd been feeling really tired, so I got some blood tests done, including ferritin which is what they actually use to diagnose aenemia (normal is between 10-150, mine was like 7). Basically, ferritin is the grapes and hemoglobin is the wine and usually these should correspond, but not always = aenemia. So basically you had enough iron to pump up your hemoglobin for now, but not enough to do it again. And that's a special test you need to order and is not done at the donation centre, cause in most cases, it's not necessary.

I got 4 on my ferritin about a year ago now. I thought I was dying. I couldn't remember anything, kept stumbling round, walking into walls. I couldn't even remember how to talk (what word i wanted or how to actually pronounce it) It was like being very drunk at all times. I have ferritin injections now and am fine although the injection site bruises for months. So you are correct, anaemia and low iron are not the same thing. My basic Iron wasn't worryingly low either, it takes a full iron study to reveal anaemia.

species4872 19

Did you at least get Orange juice?

THEY DIDN'T WARN ME THAT I WAS ANEMIC You deserve it

How were they supposed to know you were anemic? that's ridiculous.

Meganetic7 10

At blood drives, the nurses typically take a sample of blood before the donation to check for things like anemia. If this is the case and they neglected to tell you (and it's possible they figured you'd be okay if you were just borderline) then that's a fault on their part. Passing out might be quite embarrassing, but at least you're okay! And if the anemia starts bothering you in daily life, you may want to consider taking iron supplements. Get better, OP!

They should have done a finger poke and tested your blood beforehand to see what your hemoglobin levels where, that's just a shoddy donation process in my opinion. Every time I've given blood they've checked my hemoglobin, otherwise it's just a waste of both parties time since they can't use that blood and could have spent the time drawing a more appropriate candidate.

Just so everyone knows, a basic finger prick can miss anaemia. Anaemia and low iron are not necessarily the same thing. Although I get the feeling OP probably has neither and simply passed out because s/he (sorry, I didn't take note) didn't go have a meal and rest, they went shopping. Passing out rarely takes you by surprise either. You generally at least have time to safely sit straight down on the floor and arrange your arms so you don't hit your head if you go on to lose consciousness. Although sitting tends to fix it. At one point you're in the shop thinking "wow, I feel like garbage, I just had blood taken and I'm very light headed. I'm not going to go home and rest. I'm not even going to stop shopping and seek out a chair. I'm going to keep right on until I keel over". I can't feel sorry for you.

You sure "borderline anemia" made you pass out? I get VERY anemic (like iron transfusion anemic...) and I've never even gotten dizzy when they draw blood... be careful dude

what do you mean, they didn't warn you? how the he'll are they supposed to know you were anemic??