By unseeable - 29/08/2014 21:21 - United States - Gilbert

Today, I got a job. My parents have decided it's now a better idea to take money from my paycheck instead of grounding me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 535
You deserved it 6 180

unseeable tells us more.

To clear up some questions I wanna start by saying I'm 17 and currently training to be a manager at mcdonalds. I work 40 hours a week and go to high school as a senior. I don't have much time for friends so they figured grounding me wasn't exactly the best punishment. They decided to start charging me for bad grades or not being able to do some chores or simple stuff like that, nothing too major. I thought that it seemed a little unjust for taking my hard worked money from me because of course it only happens to me in my family because I work the most and everyone else has more time for being grounded.

Top comments

40hrs and school, of course your study time is going to be effected. must suck going to class, then work, and be expected to do chores. only plus side is you will be prepared for life when you get your own place. keep you head up.

Comments

I'm so glad my parents don't have access to my money, I know my mum would go on a spending spree and just buy loads of crap.

I have to wonder, what are you doing that would make them have to ground you or that taking money from you is a much better punishment?

My mom does the same thing except I'm not even grounded, she just takes part of my paycheck.

No worries OP if they don't have access to your bank account, then they cannot touch your money. If my mom told me to give her $20 because I forgot to take out the garbage I would tell her over my dead body. But then of course I would be dead after that.

mvc3ftw 17

Look on the bright side. You'll be dead,so...nevermind.

20 seems a lot better the paying ten and utilities along eatting

If you're old enough to get a job I don't see why you should expect to be able to continue living there completely rent free anyway. The second I got my first paycheck from my part time job when I was 16 my mom took half of it as rent.

I find that really ****** up. I mean I guess it's teaching you responsibility but my mom has never taken money from me. Even if she bought me something and I told her I will pay her back.

This is ridiculous, especially since your parents cannot legally kick you out until you turn 18. If you are going to have children you are expected to raise them until adults. Simple.

lizlala 15

Here you can get a job at 13... It would be pretty f***ed up to make a 13 year old pay rent >____> especially since you're not allowed to move out without their consent untill you've turned 18.. Also, if it was me, I'd leave everything in my bank account so my parents couldn't touch it...and if they had access to the bank account, I'd take out all the money the second it came into the account and then proceed with hiding it somewhere VERY safe :/ Or I'd just be all "sure, if you do that, I'll quit my job. Thanks for teaching me jobs are for loser".. If they STILL continued stealing it, I'd steal it back (I know that's bad advice, but I sorta feel like they've deserved it)

PoisonOrchid 21

I started having to pay rent when I got my first paycheck too. except I was 14. I was also told I had to get a job as soon as I legally could.

That's why you make cash caches. Great places are books, in a pair of underwear in the back of your draw, etc

Create a separate bank account so they can't access it...that's what I did

#34, In that scenario, They wouldn't be willing, but at least the parents still had a choice in whether or not they wanted to buy something. OP is most likely under 18 and has absolutely no choice whatsoever. Also, it's the parents' jobs to take care of their kids and buy them shit they *need* without charge, unless its something unnecessary. The kids get to pay them back later when it's time to choose retirement homes and whether the parents get fancy built-in-jet-pack wheelchairs or crappy ones stolen from the junkyard across the street.

And how old exactly are you. I can't even imagine such a situation. If my mom wanted to take some of my salary, she'd have to stand a veeery long laugh...

How old are you that your parents can still have access to your bank account?

Parents can be a cosignatory on their child's account regardless of their age at some banks. You can have them removed, however, if they agree to it. I think it's a little ridiculous for that to be so, especially if the child is old enough to know how to manage their own money, but that's how some people do it.