By budgetboss - 08/06/2018 18:30 - United States - Granbury

Today, I got a call that my custom order bridesmaid dress is at the apartment complex I just moved out of. They won’t give it to me because I’m no longer a resident, but they just thought I should know. The wedding’s tomorrow. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 395
You deserved it 392

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Can they just keep it like that? That is still your property! Even if you don't live there.

It's okay, everyone! I am pleased to tell you all that Meghan Markle's wedding went off without a hitch. Except the one that attached the horses to their carriage.

Comments

That obviously sucks and is probably illegal but I can't help wondering why you ordered the dress so late. You wrote it's custom made, so clearly it's not an impulse wedding... should've ordered it earlier to give time to fix anything, even with custom clothing. Hope you were able to get it anyways and congratulations!

Way to blame the OP! They probably weren’t even in charge of ordering the dress. And “custom-made” is the operative phrase here, custom-made things sometimes take forever to arrive.

I would tell them although it was sent to your old address where you are no longer a resident, it is still your item and remind them you will be contacting your local authorities if they don't release said items Maybe look into mail redirection? I pay for that service when I move house

You pay for mail forwarding? Who conned you into that? It’s a free service.

1st class mail is free to forward. 2nd class and media mail you have to pay additional postage to get it forwarded. Also applies to Parcel Post. Asking the post office to forward your mail won't affect "independent" package delivery companies such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and others.

Never knew ordering a wedding dress online was a thing, and to have to it delivered 1 day before the wedding just seems unrealistic. Bravo

adelaine782002 17

She's a bridesmaid not a bride...why are you all congratulating her

Mungolikecandy 19

If you were a previous resident then with ID they should have to pass over any post etc addressed to you or have refused delivery as it seems to be getting into dodgy potentially criminal territory if they have essentially stolen the dress. I would ask, did you not inform the dressmaker you were moving or make plans for a care of address if moving?

Lobby_Bee 17

When security guards goes on a power trip.

How long in advance did you know you were moving? Did you notify the dress shop? Did you tell the post office to forward your stuff to your new address? So many unanswered questions here. But if you did all this and they still screwed up, then yeah, FYL indeed.

That is insane of them, no doubt.... But you're just now getting/finding out about your bridesmaid dress THE DAY BEFORE THE WEDDING? Surely you must have made a back up plan! The wedding is tomorrow, for ****'s sake!

Okay, first: odds are pretty good that the OP didn't KNOW that the dress was being illegally held at a place she doesn't live. Sounds like there was a serious mixup and a landlord isn't going to be prompt calling a former resident just to taunt them. Second: WTF do you mean a backup? WTF backup do you have to replace a bridesmaid dress? The bride picks them out 99% of the time, not like you can say "Oh, my dress didn't show up, so I just wore my old prom dress, that's cool right?"

Of course she's not going to have a backup plan to begin with, but the point is if I didn't have my dress two or three days before the wedding at least, I'd sure as hell be running around stores like a mad person trying to find some sort of formal dress of the same color or something. I'd have already called the seller of the dress to find out where it had been shipped. They can't keep her dress, but if they want to try it'll take more than a few hours to sort out. What was she planning to do without it, go naked? Or is the bride so horrible as to tell her to step down?

They can't keep it, its considered withholding mail and is illegal. If you had previously lived there though, you should have had mail forwarding the minute you moved. If it was UPS/FedEx, I'm not sure how that'd work. Contact UPS/Fedex to come pick up, Show proof that you lived there before and your ID, and they will pass the package right to your hand.

Jennifer Trevors 7

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway