By S. Fancyson - 16/04/2013 23:23 - United States

Today, I gave my wife a birthday present. For months she'd been talking about an expensive treadmill that she wanted, so I bought it. Her reaction when she saw it was to yell, "YOU THINK I'M FAT!" and burst into tears. FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 439
You deserved it 9 632

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If someone gave me a treadmill, that would be the best present ever.

Comments

Squirrel1256 15

I guess if she doesn't want it, you could always return it, and then keep the money. Obviously since she doesn't appreciate it, you might as well spend it on yourself.

zilla52 12

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Big time rookie mistake. That's something you buy together, not as a gift... especially a birthday gift. Birthday gifts should be sentimental and/or romantic. Maybe even playful. Lesson learned I hope... for your sake.

Wizardo 33

We men need a map to explore the dungeon that is the women's mind! Impposibru otherwise...

Rule #1: Never talk about her weight. Rule #2: If you think it may come back to her weight in any way, shape or form, see rule 1.

I'd be Glad... You don't have to be Fat to Workout, It's Healthy.

I should say YDI. You set yourself up for that one. But then again it's a lose/lose. One scenario since she talked about the treadmill she would have been disappointed that you didn't get her hint and bought it for her and scenario number two....well your FML. :/

Haha, you totally deserved it. There are many things you don't do in a relationship, very high up this list is indulging your wife in weight reduction program's or even discussing the possibility that she could do with losing weight. The correct answer is always to maintain how beautiful and physically fit she is. Even if it's not true. Don't say things like 'you are beautiful to me' or 'I love you no matter what you look like' and never EVER buy your wife a treadmill.

Where does it say he wanted her to lose weight? Exercise can maintain weight as well... if my partner got me a treadmill I'd be really happy; saves me getting a gym membership and if anything cardio's good for maintaining weight not just losing it. Not to mention the fact she hinted that she wanted one... OP's wife sounds like a right pain to me. Don't ask for something if you're going to bitch when you get it.

It's only an Fml so it's not easy to know fully. However, to me it reads like the months of mentioning a treadmill may have been more about seeking reassurance from her husband than him actually agreeing and buying the treadmill. Who knows.