By Anonymous - 17/06/2009 12:27 - France

Today, I gave a beautiful book of baby names to a friend of mine who's been trying to get pregnant for a while. She just burst into tears when she saw it. Just before meeting me, she'd found out she was sterile. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 295
You deserved it 7 268

Same thing different taste

Top comments

FYL. No way you could have seen that coming

28339 0

that's so sad. but it's not your fault, you didn't know

Comments

doglover100 28

Aww that's so sad. She can use the book for her adopted kids.

I was told four years ago (after a late term miscarriage) that I would not be able to conceive. Four years of unprotected sex later, I'm currently seven and half months pregnant with a kid we were never supposed to be able to have, so its really not the end of the world for your friend. Biological children aren't the be all end all of parenthood, but adoption is VERY expensive, many legalities and the potential for heartbreak if the birth mother changes her mind so it's kind of insensitive for people to just immediately suggest adoption like its a miracle cure to infertility. I think infertile women would feel a lot better if society didn't put such emphasis on parenthood, its not the only worth while thing for a woman to do, you can still have a complete and fulfilling life without children.

ruthi666 23

My mom suffered from the same thing. My parents adopted my sister and I and we are both very happy to have grown up in the home we did. Our birth parents knew we would have better lives elsewhere. So don't rule out the name book yet. There are other ways to make a family!

Never give that book until she is already pregnant.

A woman is "barren", a male is "sterile." But that's very sad. She should consider adoption, although I know some people have it set in their heads they'd love to carry a child.

There's always adoption and surrogacy.

I just can't connect with people like this. If you want kids, and are sterile, adopt them. That doesn't make them any less yours. If you raise the child, it is your true child. There's tons of babies out there hoping for parents to want them. I simply can't sympathize.

Unlucky1232 20

damn. it's not your fault u couldn't of know. still u have an emotional damaged friend, be there for her people can have dangerously bad reactions to being sterile.

ambersayshii123 17

I am so sorry to hear that. she probably wasn't upset with you just the situation. especially since you had no way of knowing.