By just wanted nice nails - 05/08/2015 04:37 - United States - Palmer

Today, I found out that you can ruin a $500 computer with a few stray drops of 100% acetone nail polish remover on the keyboard. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 408
You deserved it 22 227

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bettyc4 26

And that kids is why we can't have nice things.

Kind of common sense one would think.

Comments

mds9986 24
corky1992 33

Why would you do that near your computer anyways?

saffy66 34

You needed to ruin your computer to realise this? I feel sorry for you.

#16, laptop keyboards can be replaced too.

I knocked over an entire rum and coke and it pooled underneath my laptop once. it somehow has been continuing to operate without a hitch.

Most laptops have at least some sort of elevation for air circulation purposes. Also unless you spilled it directly on your laptop, which your wording makes it sound like you didn't, most of it is just going to go around it not inside it.

Give it a couple of days. It actually may dry off and function. Nail polish remover doesn't actually always damage systems.

Acetone evaporates at an instand so the keyboard should be solvent free within minutes or -if she spilled the whole bottle - one day

i can not fathom how this has done crippling irreplaceable damage, even to a laptop. it must be some poorly made 3rd party built laptop with direct exposure to the motherboard underneath the keyboard, and the acetone ate through a major piece of it, that's the only thing that comes to mind.

Acetone and plastic don't fit together. Like the HDD or the mainboard is deformed and kind of molten after getting in touch with organic solvents (at least with most of them). So even if acetone doesn't damage the circuits it surely damages the plastic parts.

mds9986 24

Yeah but if the acetone went too deep it could have damaged internal components. 100% acetone is pretty strong stuff.

How would ruining the keyboard ruin the computer?