By Jason - 24/12/2017 19:00 - United States - Anchorage

Today, I found out that conducting CPR and saving a man's life means nothing if you break his ribs. He is suing me for $10,000. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 474
You deserved it 414

Same thing different taste

Top comments

PhantomCrevan 8

Welcome to the United States of America, the place where s robber can sue you because they injured themself robbing your house, and people sue you for saving their lives. Land of the free to have ****** up logic.

That's why you need to make sure your state has something along the lines of a Good Samaritan laws, in which you are protected from being sued if something like cracked or broken ribs happens. Honestly, any judge or jury that is a sane person just rule in your favor. That is one reason I am thinking of leaving human services (have a psychology degree and work with people all the time so I need CPR and first aid training) because people are too sue happy. If my training is out of date, can't be required to do anything. Let someone else do it. Would do it if a family member or friend.

Comments

The 2000 Federal Cardiac Arrest Survival Act grants those who administer CPR or use an AED immunity from civil charges, except in instances of willful misconduct or gross negligence. Good Samaritan laws exist on a state-by-state basis. Mostly, they provide at least some protection for those who perform CPR or use an AED. Some states actually require you to step in if you know CPR or, in some cases, if you are a medical professional. In Vermont, for instance, requires bystanders to give “reasonable assistance” or face a $100 fine. Generally, however, Good Samaritan Laws are there to protect bystanders who perform CPR. Mostly, you are required to ask permission before performing CPR if a person is not already in your care. If they cannot reply, then consent is implied.

Ubcopied that directly from the first website if you google +cpr +sued ??

gobiteme2 34

Only if you have been certified, if not you can be sued.

Lobby_Bee 17

Which lawyer in their right mind would take his case? Won't win in court. lol

thejimhawkins 13

Not gonna happen. If you do CPR right, you are *supposed* to break ribs. You need to compress the rib cage by at least 1/3 of the distance from front to back which can't be done without inflicting some damage. This I can say with confidence as a medical professional. Second, I'm sure there are Good Samaritan laws that would protect you. It's a stupid case and it will cause some headache, but it's very likely to get thrown out.

You should be covered by the good Samaritan law

Forget good samaritan rules, the Federal Cardiac Arrest Survival Act protects you from charges unless you where willfully misconducting. Any expert can say broken ribs are more the norm than an exception. I would not worry much, should be an easy win. Don’t forget to tell the guy that sueing you to drop dead after you leave the courtroom

there are good Samaritan laws that protect from exactly this.

You’re not covered by Good Samaritan laws where you are? (In New York you can’t sue a Good Samaritan)

if you don't break the ribs there is no way way to pump the heart manually, because thats all cpr really is as well as breathing for them.. get a lawyer I can tell you as a lifegaurd that in oir training we are told to never stop cpr even if we don't have consent.. idk what your situation was but also chech to see if your area has good samaritan laws

Knighttly1 3

Broken ribs are common when conducting CPR. As long as your training was up to date and you followed your training you are safe. On behalf of everyone who may need your help one day, thank you!!