By Anonymous - 20/11/2015 19:27 - United States - Clearwater

Today, I found out my coworker was arrested for beating the crap out of his wife. I gave him a serious pep talk yesterday where I told him to stop taking her shit and start standing up for himself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 990
You deserved it 5 137

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sorry OP, how could you have known that he would take your advice to such an extreme? Hopefully she's alright

Comments

You told him to stop taking her shit; not to start giving shit of his own.Hopefully he's learnt the difference between the two.

It's not your fault he was a psycho, you weren't to know.

He's the one that took that to mean beat her up. Obviously he had that mindset anyway. Not your fault but I wouldn't even associate with that guy anymore.

corky1992 33

Well I sure hope you didn't mean for him to beat up his wife by telling him to stand up for himself.

Take it easy, Helen of Troy. Holy shit.

Not saying anybody is right here but let's think about this...... It sounds like that maybe the shit the husband was taking was physical or psychological abuse from the wife to go to that extreme...... Let's reverse the scenario here if it was a female coworker who did the same thing. This comment section would look quite different.

Except that people have already acknowledged that the wife could have been abusive and that he could have been defending himself but took it too far. It seems more likely than most of the commenters would be saying what they said here were the gender roles reversed- sucks it happened but but the person still "beat the shit" out of their spouse, which is pretty damn hard to make it sound like they did the right thing. It depends on the laws where OP and the spouses live, but where I live, both spouses would be facing charges of domestic violence if it couldn't be decisively be determined who began the abuse cycle. The husband would also be facing battery charges, while the wife could also face either assault charges if she was emotionally and mentally abusive, battery charges if she was physically abusive, or both. In other places, the husband would be under the charges for being less injured. Back to the point, most of the people on here seem to have a decent grasp of equality and would be equally horrified if the OP's coworker had been a woman who attacked her partner.

Chances are you had nothing to do with it, OP. Abusers are exceedingly good at getting other people's sympathy, and painting their victims as crazy, unreasonable, unbearable etc. Abusers (of any gender) also often deflect suspicion by claiming that they are actually the victim. You couldn't know.

Denise1988 13

If there's one thing I know, it's that there are two sides to every story. Stay out of people's marriages.

standing up for himself doesn't mean beating her. it's not your fault