By ihateloopholes - 21/06/2015 20:42 - Lebanon - Beirut

Today, I forbade a student in the writing seminar I instructed from continuing to present his disturbing poems about demons. He responded to this by convincing nearly every other student in the seminar to write and read out loud several of his poems. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 999
You deserved it 8 612

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Actually, I kinda agree with the student. **** your censorship, OP. Stephen King has written many masterpieces.

drayloon 50

Is it a creative writing course? You shouldn't be forbidding a student from writing about what they want then, as long as isn't criminal.

Comments

Maybe you should've just let him read them out? Unless they were completely unrelated to the task but it just seems like he was proud of his work and creativity so wanted you to hear them...

Dreamsorrow93 24

If he seems that disturbed you should of let him express himself. It's that type of person who can crack and bring the weapon to school.

Here's a list of other people who might shoot up a school: absolutely anyone.

Absolutely anyone with access to a gun? Jks guys, don't take away ma rights #2ndamendment

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Hey buddy. Just because someone writes strongly about demons doesn't mean satanism. Some people just open themselves up in different ways. Good for the student!

You should probably go look up what satanism really is.

Satanism isn't even about worshipping Satan anyways. its technically an "atheistic" religion.

Actually there's a ton of different branches... the "main" branch I believe is atheistic and just uses Satan as a figurehead, but there are some spiritual ones who think they can communicate with demons and do magic... e.e

Actually, I kinda agree with the student. **** your censorship, OP. Stephen King has written many masterpieces.

Also, I hope he sees this FML so he knows that even if he gets punished, he has plenty of people thinking he's bold for standing up for his art.

You dont even know what the student said about demons so how can you agree with him..

who cares people should be allowed to voice their opinions and it seems like majority rules. Art is art no matter what most of the time the beauty is only in the eye of the beholder

drayloon 50

Is it a creative writing course? You shouldn't be forbidding a student from writing about what they want then, as long as isn't criminal.

All it says is he can't present it? If I were another study I wouldn't want to listen To poems about demons and whatnot. The teacher never said you can't write it and hand it in.

It's disturbing to you but it probably meant a lot to the student. They usually have meanings behind their poems they worked hard on and you probably made him feel bad by stopping him expressing his creativity. That or he just watched an episode of Supernatural.

It seems like you are the only one who is bothered by his writing, either that or your students enjoy getting a rise out of you.

Exactly. If no one else was interested in hearing them, I'd agree with the OP. But it seems that quite a few other people we interested in hearing them so unless the OP has managed to find an entire room full of disturbed people, most likely the OP is overly sensitive and the poems are fine.

Disturbing poems are the best poems.

You sir are a shit person and a worse teacher.

If you're not going to allow your students to write, maybe you shouldn't be teaching a writing course.