By ArmyMan - 24/06/2009 16:37 - United Arab Emirates

Today, I enlisted for The Navy because my Boy Scout leader encouraged me. He fought in Korea and is a real inspiration. I asked him what motivated him to join The Navy. He said he was drunk and didn't remember joining until he was called up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 802
You deserved it 9 906

Same thing different taste

Top comments

coldplaylive2003 0

You're old enough to join the navy and still in the boy scouts?

@ 1: Maybe he enlisted as a result of his former Boy Scout leader, but yes you can still be in scouts at age 18. OP: If he's a real inspiration and encouraged you to enlist, how did you not discuss his motivation to join until now?

Comments

you aren't technically in until you go to MEPs right before basic... you can still get out. PLUS it's only the Navy... not like it's hard

I have to interject, too. Why's the OP's name "armyman" when he's supposedly in the Navy? Not the same thing. I'm surprised he didn't put "sailor" instead because, you know, that'd make more sense. Also, OP, don't worry about it. There are lots of opportunities out there if you want to keep with it. Heck, even if your troop leader signed up while drunk, who cares? You still thought of him as incredibly respectable, so something went right.

YDI for wanting to join something as pitiful as the Navy in the first place.

dk_fml 0

Wow, what a classy recruiter for signing up a drunk man! The Navy's not a bad thing, though, so I think you got off easy.

leyalu 0

I think it's awesome that this is from United Arab Emirates. Are you Arabic or now serving in UAE?

infest0125 0

Even if he did enlist on a mistake, he still survived the fighting in Korea, and was brave enough to go through it all, so it's not THAT bad.

YDI if you're willing to join purely because someone else did. If you have other reasons, then who cares?

dr_house_MD 0

as far as i know the UAE didnt fight in Korea. fake

shadow_duv 0

maybe its just me, but you shouldn't enlist in anything, especially military, unless you are ready to completely change your life.