By partyrocker12 - 19/09/2012 19:45 - United States

Today, I decided to give blood for the first time in my life. As an 18-year-old, 5'1", 110lb woman, I guess I shouldn't have been allowed there, much less permitted to leave the room to get some food. I ended up passing out in the middle of the dining hall. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 924
You deserved it 4 212

partyrocker12 tells us more.

partyrocker12 1

Hello, OP here! Thank You all for your concern! I'm doing a lot better. I actually ended up passing out three more times before they carted me off to the hospital, where I took a nice nap. I think what did me in was my blood pressure, which to me actually seemed low to give blood. I have normally low blood pressure (96/84 is my average) and it was 100/85, or something like that. They also did not attempt to detain me. As for the amount, they took 2 cups from me, so one of the smaller bags. This is a company that regularly visits my university (not the Red Cross, if it was Red Cross it would be different), and my sorority sister who took care of me had two bags taken from her last year, she's about 5'5" and weighs maybe 170lbs and she nearly passed out. I think the next time I give blood, it will be with RC. They made no attempt to stop me as I went up a flight of stairs, handed my meal card over, and made my way over to the pop machine, which is where I fainted for the first time in my life. Thank You again for your concern, and I'm so glad that I did it.

Top comments

hopsinlove17 26

At least your vein didn't collapse. Shame on the doctor who permitted you...at our blood drive you have to be 120

Comments

Not sure what llbs is converted to KGs, but if you're under 50KG like myself they don't even allow you to give blood here haha need as much of it as you can get!

2.2 lbs to every kilogram! Learned it in anatomy :)

SApprentice 34

You're not allowed to give blood when you're that small because of those problems. The doctor should have never allowed you- the cut off point is usually 115lb, and even then they like you to be a little heavier. I used to have that problem, when I was 5'7", 115lbs- they wouldn't let me. I've finally made it up to 136, so I can now, but I've been there before. It sucks, and I hope you feel better soon, OP. It's great that you tried to donate at least, not enough people do.

devandanae 11

The people who draw blood are not Doctors.

I've always wanted to give blood but they won't let me because I lived in England in the 90s where the Mad Cow Disease pandemic started. It really doesn't make sense to me, because if I had contacted Mad Cow Disease in the 90s I'd either dead or obviously brain damaged by now.

Not necessarily, not much is known about the latency period of mad cow disease or even how it can be transmitted (hence the ban on blood donation). You could have the disease in a dormant but transmissible state...nobody knows.

Over twenty years seems like a very long time for a disease to lay dormant.

There are cases where a person never even knows they had a disease but ended up giving it to their children or grandchildren. Diseases can be very sneaky.

If a pic was taken it'd make a great hemophobia meme. (Yes I know OP passed out after the blood was taken)

partyrocker12 1

OP again- that's actually kinda funny. but that would've been very bad XD

Who in their right mind just let you leave??

If she doesn't show any signs of trouble before, during, or immediately after, why wouldn't they?

Well, they're supposed to make you rest and wait for a little while first. : /

No one forces you to stay afterward. They only invite you to stay for some cookies and juice.

KiddNYC1O 20

Your intentions were in the right place.

Rachaelc23 8

Eat before you give blood or bring something with you to eat right after

Well I guess I'm never giving blood. I've officially been told I'm not growing anymore and I'm 5'1". Either no giving blood or gaining weight. I weight 100lb. I really wanted to donate blood to my friend's cousin. Damn :

That sucks and I would message you but idk how

Obvious8 3

I don't know about minimum weights, but I know that in Ontario (probably Canada) that after giving blood you are taken to a table with drinks and snacks to recover.

Same in Scotland, they don't let you leave until you've had a cuppa and a biscuit. Excellent policy for many reasons :)