By Anonymous - 09/06/2016 23:37 - Canada - Toronto

Today, I came home to my wife packing a bag. We had been fighting recently and I understood why she was leaving, but then I noticed she wasn't packing her stuff. She explained that I was the one who was leaving, she was just packing my bag. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 677
You deserved it 2 262

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who's house is it? If it's your name on the mortgage, there's no way she can do that.

ExtremeEncounter 32

Nice assumption #7. Or, MAYBE, they were simply stating a fact, that if OP's name happens to be on it then he can't be kicked out? But that would make too much sense, now wouldn't it.

Comments

I'd laugh at her ass... And tell her I don't think the couch will fit in there....

rldostie 19

Wrong! Whoever leaves the relationship should be the one to leave the house (except for cases of abuse, obviously). If one want out of the marriage, then out of the house. It's unfair to ask the other person to leave when she is the one ending the marriage.

Careful out there. Divorce courts highly favor women. Just be prepared.

Divorce courts really only favor women when children are involved, but we don't know if that's an issue with op

At least she's nice enough to pack it for you and not have it scattered across the lawn....right?

Like many other people have said, I hope you explained to her that that's not how it works and that she is free to leave at any time if she doesn't want to live with you anymore. Assuming, of course, that you have at least partial ownership to your home.

Don't leave. Especially if you have kids. It can be used in court against you.

It can be used against him that he was kicked out? Judge: It says here you were kicked out of the house and were not allowed to enter again, but you also have kids. How could you do that to them!? I rule in favor of your wife, she gets the house, car, kids, and anything else on the property and all the money in your bank account! *bangs gavel*.

Sadly that's pretty much how it works. They see it as you abandoning your kids. It's messed up.

You guys can dislike my comment all you want and 54 you can make your sarcastic comment but in court it is unlikely it'll be seen as you being kicked out. Instead they'll say you decided to leave and once that happens they can say you forfeited ownership to anything that you didn't take with you. Which will make it easier to give assets to your spouse and can be viewed as admitting your spouce is capable of having full custody but won't prevent you from paying child support.

redlizzybeth 25

If you think it is time to go then help her pack, but if you are not ready to move out then maybe offer a compromise of staying in a different part of the house. I know everyone is saying this but I will say it again. You only have to leave if you want to. I would email her now for documentation about any compromises or text but put it in writing so that it has to be transferred and tracked. If you have already left then contact her if you want and let her know that it is your home too (even if she is on the mortgage and you are not you are still a tenant) and you wish to reside in your home and exercise your rights. I hope this works out for you but you have to be strong and calm. If you loose your cool then she can use it against you - she might not but it is better to be calm.

It's complicated. In Canada, you don't have to be married for assets to belong to both of you and for them to be divided equally if you split up. You just have to live together for a certain amount of time(varies by province), be dependent on each other/contribute in some way, or have children, if you have kids, you're pretty much automatically common law. Also, it doesn't matter who pays the bills and whose name is on the mortgage/house, if they live together over the certain amount of time, it belongs to both of them. Although, if one's name isn't on the house it can make things very difficult for them and establishing any rights over it can be almost impossible. Since they're married though, all their assets are definitely shared, including the house, so legally, the wife CANNOT kick him out. However, here's where it gets stupid and complicated. Even if the house is shared and both names are on it, if one spouse kicks the other out and forbids them from the property, despite that it's unlawful, there isn't much the cops can do. They can escort the kicked out spouse to gather their things, but they can't force the other spouse to allow the kicked out spouse to live on their own property, even though it is shared. You have to get lawyers and social services involved to make the spouse comply, they have to go through paperwork, determine that the property is shared, draw up documents and a lot more, which takes a lot of work and time. Family law is often unfair and complex.

That tends to be the way most women think. It's all your fault, you get out.

Well, that's easy, don't. You have every right to be there and she cannot legally kick you out like that.