By TubaAssassin - 28/11/2017 06:00

Today, I came home to find that my roommate had picked my lock and stolen my new laptop. When I tried to take it back, he called the police. They sided with him since he had also taken the receipt, which was "proof" that it was his. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 863
You deserved it 291

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did you pay in cash? If not, get statements from the bank or credit company. If you bought it in a physical store, which is what it sounds like, talk to the manager at the store and see if they can pull video of you purchasing it or pull a copy of the receipt. Then take the bastard to small claims court if you have to. If you paid in straight cash... don't ever do it again, because stuff like this happens, unfortunately. I hope the bastard gets kneecapped.

Time to find a new roommate. Sorry he turned out to be such a thief and a liar. I guess from now on, carry receipts with you.

Comments

you live with him, take the laptop back, and beat the living piss out of him,throw every last damn thing of his out the window and put a free sign on the lawn while he lays there crippled.

If you have online banking there's a chance that the online statement will have that name of the store you bought the laptop from as well as the corresponding price

Still you can get your laptop back if it was running Mac or Windows, cause the first time you create your it asks for mail ID. It registers your device under your mail ID, so can show it under your devices in your account.

You can show the receipt if it has the last 4 digits of your card (assuming you paid with a card) and then show them the card to show it matches. They can't let someone get away with stealing someone else's personal property without as much as investigating. They can't go by word of mouth, they need physical evidence.

I'm thinking it should be fairly easy to prove it was yours. I'm assuming you didn't pay cash for it so there's a paper trail.