By Dark_Cecilia - 01/12/2015 22:53 - United States - Fremont

Today, I called the cops on this guy who kept emailing me without revealing who he was. I had told him that if he emailed me again, I would call the cops, so I did. Turns out it was my roommate. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 043
You deserved it 2 718

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should have just blocked their email or have it sent to the junk mail folder.

Were the emails threatening? If not, it probably wasn't worth calling the cops :/

Comments

Malsain_fml 10

How to ruin a relationship in an instant... it's his fault to me. he was warned, right? If someone says "Stop". Well that is reason enough to stop. If someone says "Stop", or I punch you. Well, if you don't stop, don't be surprises if you have been punched! And yes. Calling cops might sound extreme, but if the guy would haver been seriously doing that, unless you call the cops on him, he can repeat with someone esle as much as he wants.

How is that illegal? If it's not a crime, or someone in danger, you should handle it yourself and not waste police time. People complain about police having too much power, but then can't handle even the smallest of situations themselves.

Well if he was harassing OP for a long time, with threatening emails, or if OP told them to stop multiple times, then it is very illegal. Plus if the roommate could easily just create another account if one email address was blocked.

Malsain_fml 10

If you think about the fact it was his roomate, he most probably let her know things like he knew about her whereabout, adress or work/study location. So obviously, if someone is harassing you and knows you for real, you better call the cops

Harassment is unwelcome physical touching FYI (different states probably have different laws/definitions). In Oregon the only illegal repeated contact after asking them to stop, is telephonically and only from a known number. However, my point was more this seems like an overreaction. Like many have said, block the emails or ignore. If they were threatening, they would have said that, but even then what could the cops do from a generic email address? It's not a terror plot, so I don't the FBI is stepping in and local pds don't have the time or technology to track that down. Have we forgotten how to make grown up decisions on our own? Do we demand every person who hurts our feelings or does something we don't like, get in trouble? Do we blow things out of proportion and forget what real emergencies are? I know the answer, I just wish it were different.

Malsain_fml 10

I get your point and i generally agree with it. But again, what if the guy wrote things like "I like to watch you going out of your place Cecilia. Have you been studying well recently? Sciences classes are tough you know. But your university is nice." and so on. With details that indicate you the guy knows a lot about your everyday life. You can't ignore that to my mind. Tracking an email adress is not complicated to the cops. If you consider google is able to know which city you are in, I am pretty sure policemen can know too, with more precision, unless the other person happens to be a super hacker or something. When I go to holidays and connect to my yahoo mail from abroad, I instantly get warning messages becaus emy log in location suddenly changed. By the way, I feel like she discovered it was her roomate next to the police intervention.

Kuibe 18

Its your roommates fault for not taking the threat to call the cops seriously. I would do the same thing OP or just block the email... Either one.

Next step, Restraining Order! Who ever gets home first gets the place till they have to leave.

So what happened next? Cops get him/her for stalking?

IvyChennyChen 21

Really curious what kind of emails your roommate was sending. Was it threatening? Creepy? Psychotic? If not I would've found the whole situation pretty funny~

dman798 18

tbf you gave him a chance to stop. he kept doing it. his own fault as he knew the risks!