By Mary - 16/12/2013 05:14 - United States

Today, I called a pest control company to ask them to come over to my place to help get rid of rats. The person on the phone told me to "be a man and stop acting like a girl". I'm a woman. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 358
You deserved it 3 439

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Dom_Olivares 12

Wouldn't they want to make some money?

Comments

frizz101 22

Wow, that is not only unprofessional, but a fireable offense. I hope you got their name OP, because that's not something you should let slide.

myeviltwin 20

You can easily and cheaply get rats under control by yourself. Leave small bowls of dry instant potato flakes around and bowls of water nearby. When they potato flakes begin to swell the rats stomachs will burst. Also find any holes (a full grown rat can get through a hole 1/2 inch in diameter) that the rats are using to get in and out of your house and stuff them full of extra coarse steel wool and then seal the holes. When a rat chews through this it will rip their insides to shreds. Also clean up any food and water sources (other than the potato flakes), and remove any nesting materials (newspapers old clothes etc). Most professional pest control these days will focus on structural and sanitation problems using only a limited amount of chemicals. Remove their points in ingress/egress and their food and water sources.

ashsaunde 13

Good lord that sounds barbaric. I would rather not be cleaning up rat guts all over my house.

skyeyez9 24

My luck, all the potato flakes would do is give the rats severe diarrhea all over my house.

Well, that's basically how store-bought rat poison works. They die of massive eternal bleeding. I know it's kind of cruel and there's the risk of second-hand-poisoning (if the rat gets eaten by a pet or a wild animal you don't want harmed). But allowing them to run around in a house where they can bite and infect children and other animals or soil everything with their constant urinating is a lot more cruel IMO. Traps might be more humane.

myeviltwin 20

No store bought rat poison is an anti-coagulant, they bleed to death internally (supposedly painless). But with those not only do you risk poisoning pets (although vitamin K! is an antidote), they are also ineffective if you do not fix sanitation and structural problems (especially sanitation problems).

myeviltwin 20

Ignore that comment I had not fully read the comment I was responding too and by the time I realized my mistake it was too late to edit

myeviltwin 20

You would not have rat guts all over your hose. All the damage is internal and they crawl into their nests to die. It is a rather barbaric way to die but wee are talking about disease carrying vermin not house pets.

myeviltwin 20

If traps alone worked the vast majority of pest control companies would be out of business. Traps are usually used after the fact for monitoring. Now in some cases you could get lucky and a few well placed traps would do the job, but, usually you need a comprehensive plan using sanitation, structural, and some form of bait (what pest control companies call IPM integrated pest management. ) plus a monitoring plan after the fact to gauge the effectiveness of what you did previously. There is info online that most people could take advantage of to rid themselves of a mild to moderate infestation by themselves. Also keep in mind I have not worked in the industry for a few years and their might be newer ways I am unaware of.

Byere 4

Wow... What a terrible way to talk to a customer. Definitely go to another company

They are the pest control so they should help with that anyway

Call somewhere else...they don't want your business that's their problem...

BDA_fml 5

Talk to his boss and tell him there's a pest that he really needs to get rid of.

Rats are pests and can carry diseases. They can go live a happy life in some field or alley, they don't need to live in the same house as humans.

When I was a little girl our old house had rats and we never called an exterminator, just tried to take care of them ourselves with traps and poison. I remember dad once showing us a big dead rat that was caught in a trap and me fleeing in terror and disgust, my brother killing one that was under our kitchen sink with his hatchet and there was blood everywhere, and mom would sometimes make us get up during the night and sleep over at our grandparents because she was afraid the rats were going to bite my brother and me in our sleep. Ah, such warm fuzzy childhood memories.

Report that person to their manager. Find them on yelp and give them a terrible review. If they have a facebook blast them on that too. Mention the asshole that said that by name. Then find someone with good reviews and hire them for the job.