By nolinguist - 22/11/2009 17:39 - Austria

Today, I arrived in Austria. Within about an hour, I realized that I couldn't understand any "German". Turns out they have a totally different dialect here to anything I was taught in school. I'm here till May. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 312
You deserved it 18 788

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"ich liebe meine scheide" just say that everywhere you go

remember, the universal language for ordering at a restaraunt is point at the item listed.

Comments

doof_fisch 2

I had four years of high school German and was an "A" student. When I finally got to go to Germany about 14 years later, I was excited about the possibility of using what I had learned. I was hiking with a friend through a forest and we stayed overnight at a hut. There were several German soldiers staying overnight there, too. They were all talking a language I absolutely could not understand. I was so upset and disappointed that the four years of German had been a waste of time. Suddenly, one of the soldiers said to my friend, "Verstehen Sie ihnen?" WOW ! I could understand that guy! My friend said, "Nein." I said the same thing. "Then he asked me in German where I'm from (Woher kommen Sie?) and I replied, "Minnesota." I asked him where he was from and he replied, "Ich komme aus Texas!" LOL And so my first legitimate, understandable conversation in Germany was with a fellow American! (BTW - I learned later that the dialect being spoken there was Schwaebisch - something that many Germans themselves cannot understand.) Bottom Line: You'll do fine. Enjoy the experience no matter how frustrating. You are building memories.

Dude that just made my day. The area I grew up in had Schwaebisch as the local dialect and I just love hearing about it. :D My own dialect used to be semi-bad when I was younger, but as I grew up, I realized how stupid it sounded, so I kinda grew into speaking Hochdeutsch, with a few little quirks, haha.

OP, relax, I live in Germany for already 5th year, and I speak no German :D And have no plans for learning it ))

YDI for not knowing such a basic fact about a country where you're going to spend half a year. Also, you will get used to it.

You do realize Germany and Austria are two different countries? Might wanna check your facts on Europe next time :P

hey i'm here until july and i felt the exact same way as you my first few weeks here. but you'll pick up the language soon enough. i'm in vienna and we have an AWESOME dialect! i can say 'shut up' like 5 different ways. just look on the bright side, at least you're not in switzerland. THEY speak really ****** up german. good luck!:)

hehe, I'm from Austria but from the very western part of Austria. Here, the dialect is even worse und less understandable. Our dialects really really suck.

Our dialects are the part that makes our language so adorable!

i'm german and even i don't understand any of these dialects.

haha ja ich weiss wie es geht uberall in deutschland gibt es dialekte der osterreichische ist aber ziemlich schwer mach es dir nichts. du gewohnst dich bald dran