By nolinguist - 22/11/2009 17:39 - Austria

Today, I arrived in Austria. Within about an hour, I realized that I couldn't understand any "German". Turns out they have a totally different dialect here to anything I was taught in school. I'm here till May. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 312
You deserved it 18 787

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"ich liebe meine scheide" just say that everywhere you go

remember, the universal language for ordering at a restaraunt is point at the item listed.

Comments

amazingkate 0

talk about not counting your blessings, whining about something that almost everyone who studies abroad has to deal with, and not being able to work out how you'll deal with a situation. jayzus christ grow up.

Didn't they taught you in your German classes about the difference between Hochdeutsch and the Austria dialect? Well don't worry about it too much, sure it will be a little tough but they understand you when you talk Hochdeutsch and even English if you really have to. After a few weeks you can understand them perfectly too. Exchange students in our country don't even speak our language when they come here! And some even refuse to learn the language and will have to communicate in English but most people don't mind it they just don't understand anything said in class! Good luck

You must be a Fulbright TA, just like me! I was in Salzburg last year, but I'm in Vienna this year - a whole new dialect to learn. You may not improve your German this year, but you sure as hell will improve your Austrian. Good luck, kiddo.

If you speak German, you should be able to pick Austrian up. And, as someone who's lived in foreign countries, it is possible to get around without the language. You can mime pretty much everything you want to say. It becomes a bit of a game.

If you speak German, you should be able to pick Austrian up. And, as someone who's lived in foreign countries, it is possible to get around without the language. You can mime pretty much everything you want to say. It becomes a bit of a game.

don't they speak mostly english in australia?

ziqi92 0

read the fml again. this is AUSTRIA in EUROPE. not AUSTRAILIA

This isn't an FML. This is a "welcome to a foreign country." Dialects are everywhere, and the fact that you had no idea that Austria had a different dialect before you arrived is rather unbelievable. I lived in a part of Germany with a dialect, and I adjusted. It only takes a few weeks to work out the differences and then you're fine. It's not a big deal.

First of all, research the dialect before you go there. Second of all, you were probably taught hochdeutsch, which means you will do just fine. You deserved it, not that "it" is very bad in the first place.