By nana_star - 14/02/2014 07:59 - South Africa - Johannesburg

Today, in the middle of telling my mother about my engagement, she suddenly broke down in tears about her problems at work and her loveless marriage, and abruptly hung up on me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 042
You deserved it 4 491

nana_star tells us more.

Wow! I can't believe this got published! To fill you guys in, my stepdad is just going through a rough time and it's taking its toll on my mom. She is better now and congratulated us both! Thanks to everyone who congratulated us as well! (I'm not sure if FML will show my OP-ness because I'm using the mobile app. If it doesn't, I promise I'm not a troll) :)

Top comments

Comments

Well let me be the first to congratulate you then :D

Wow! I can't believe this got published! To fill you guys in, my stepdad is just going through a rough time and it's taking its toll on my mom. She is better now and congratulated us both! Thanks to everyone who congratulated us as well! (I'm not sure if FML will show my OP-ness because I'm using the mobile app. If it doesn't, I promise I'm not a troll) :)

You must've been a right bore, hence your mother felt the need to hang up on you

Congratulations on your engagement OP! I'm sorry your mom's having a rough time, but I'm glad to hear she's come around. I hope everything work out for her, and I wish you all the happiness in the world with your future hubby!

Congrats on your engagement! It's also a great time to show empathy and support for your mom and to help her remember her worth is so much more than a job or a relationship.

Who would want Morgan Freeman as a stepfather?

sweetprettykitty 10

Morgan freeman as a stepfather would kick ass!

kellyem2 20

Glad your mom is OK, op. It sounds like she's just really stressed. Hopefully your engagement will offer a nice distraction so you two can have a bit of fun together making some plans. :)

You know, that's something I've been wondering for a while. Do the FML mods have some way of making sure that whoever is doing the follow-up really is the OP? When someone posts on an anonymous FML claiming to be the OP does anyone bother to check and see whether or not they're bullshitting everyone? Just something I've been curious about.

44/OP, the only thing better than having Morgan Freeman as a stepfather would be having Morgan Freeman as a father. He's that badass.

frizz101 22

Congratulations OP, and I hope your mom and stepdad get through their rough patch soon!

Don't worry; it did. :) And congratulations!

That's exactly what a troll would say, but it does show you're op

Aww, I'm sorry. I hope she'll put her problems aside to finish talking to you. Congratulations on your engagement! Best of luck to you! :)

shaww 28

I'm sorry OP an unhappy marriage is never good...

What makes you think its an un happy marrige?

HisHarleyQuinn 14

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure a loveless marriage qualifies as unhappy. Maybe that's just me though.

sweetprettykitty 10

It's more like "Caaaan you feeeeeel the loooovve toniiight" lol sorry couldn't help it. even had to make an account just to write this comment he he :)

CallMeMcFeelii 13

I always thought it went a little something like this.. I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh lord. I've been waiting for this moment, all my life, oh lord. I can feeling it coming in the aaiiirr toonighht. Oh lord, oh lord. *Todotodo do Tss* Haha..

picklemonger 13

Not sure about you but definitely FML to your poor mother.

it was her mom's choice to work where she is and also her choice to get married to whoever she's married to add to that she's self centered and an attention ***** f OPs life and her mom deserves it

think its more fml to both of them the mom for beeing unhappy. we don't know why she is unhappy maybe something bad happend that makes it bad. and op for not beeing able to celebrage with her mom