By hating labels - 23/10/2012 08:21 - Australia

Today, at breakfast, my sister labelled me a "feminist." My whole family now refuses to talk to me for more than 30 seconds, and acts as though I have an incurable, highly contagious disease. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 922
You deserved it 5 478

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should frame a giant copy of the 19th amendment, just to freak them out.

Comments

I feel you. My brother calls me a feminist all the time -.-" However it's not that bad. FYL.

RedPillSucks 31

Reclaim the label, or overuse it so much that it becomes pointless like a bunch of white people calling each other "n****r"

How does it matter? Being a feminist just means you believe men and women are equal. It's not a bad thing to be.

I don't think most women want to be treated differently or anything like that. It seems to be that the few bad apples ruin the bunch, and honestly the older you get the less of these "I'm the woman so treat me like a queen" girls do you find. Most of us realize that being courteous shouldn't be based on gender and it's all give and take. As for the double standard, both genders are equally guilty (again, minorities of both). Some men feel "like the woman" if he is not actively doing everything for her.

So you believe that men and women are equal and should be treated as such. And apparently your family doesn't. F THEIR Ls, OP, because they're still living in the 50s.

#97 I would disagree with the reasoning for that. That standard is still patriarchal; a woman is considered weaker, and of a less serious threat. So if she hits the guy it's not a big deal since he's strong and can handle it. Likewise I don't see a lot of people supporting a man slapper.

16- I completely agree with you! I am a women that personally likes it when a male will open the door for me, let me go first and do cute things like that, and therefore am not looking for both equality and differential treatment. And from most men I know, they like to do that for women. They're hard wired to be chivalrous and want to "take care of" and look out for a woman, without treating them like lesser beings and without having women walk all over them. It's like if there's a woman firefighter with a bunch of guys, they respect her but will also look out for her cause they feel its right and are in a way hard wired to be like that. (Most men that is) And when we talk about feminists I'm usually thinking of the more extreme feminists, the kind protesting, burning bra's etc, seeing as most women want to be treated with respect and want to be able to work (what used to be) typical male jobs and get paid equally. That's not feminism that's just common sense.

missyfiona89 28

As long as you don't expect doors to be held open and bills to be paid by guys, there's nothing wrong being a feminist, and wanting equality. You go girl!