By thanksforthat - 10/08/2009 19:05 - United States

Today, after selling their car, my parents decided to inform me that my car (that I paid for myself) is now going to be the "Family Car". They also informed me that since it is, after all, my car, I'll still have to pay for the gas and maintenance. FML
I agree, your life sucks 89 876
You deserved it 4 730

Same thing different taste

Top comments

acd23 0

If my parents did that to me I'd tell them they can either start contributing to gas and maintenance or they can start finding other ways to travel, like a bus, or a bike. They may be your parents but if you paid for that car with your own money, you should still have a say on who can and can't use it, and you shouldn't have to foot the car bills yourself if you aren't the only one using it.

theflamezbegin 0

Damn parents. You at least say SOMETHING... but sorry to say it probably won't work...

Comments

It isn't your faul that they sold their car. You need to stand up for yourself and tell them that if they don't intend on helping pay for gas and maintenance, then they need to get a new vehicle for themselves OR learn the local bus schedule. FYL indeed.

lunaroseemh 0

if you bought it, then just say no. if they try to use it anyway, threaten to call the cops for grand theft auto. they can't use it unless you give them your permission.

if you're under 18 I don't think you can legally buy your own car without parental agreement or something like that (I may be wrong). if your over 18 move out.

It's easier said than done in terms of 'moving out' because of the economy, you know. Even moving into an apartment is murder for your wallet.

if you have a licence and money you can buy a car, that means at 16 you could buy a car

Yea but at 16, your insurance would be higher if the car was in your name. Just because the OP paid for the car doesn't mean her name is on the title.

do you know for sure the car has insurance, after all its not required in all states. besides if you can afford a car, you can afford insurance

did you tell them to **** off and not leech off you?

Ever think that OP may still be in high school?

tell them to **** themselves. its your car.

Here's what you do, only have 1 car key, destroy the others if there are any, always keep that key with you. If your family asks for the car, give them the biggest middle finger you've ever given anyone. Or tell them it'll cost a dollar for every mile they drive.

teebonehead 0

Sounds like it is time to move out !

I'm not gonna win parent of the year. but even I wouldn't do that to my kids!

letitbe56 0

They can't have it both ways. If it's your car you get to decide the terms under which they are able to use it. Just refuse to give them the keys as long as they refuse to chip in for gas and maintenance. If the title is in your name, there's nothing they can do about it.