By ThanksDog - 05/06/2016 21:26

Today, after months of planning the perfect night with my brother, who was coming home for two weeks from the military, he cancelled because he "missed his dog". FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 477
You deserved it 1 508

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Not sure if he just got back from deployment, but his mind might be all over the place. Deployments (and military life in general) can be pretty stressful. Also, does he actually know about this perfect night you planned? I have to ask.

Military life isn't easy OP, give your brother a break. This leave is only two weeks, which probably doesn't seem like much to him when he's been deprived of comforts, like his dog. I'm sure he wants to see you, but it's important to let him have some time to himself first.

Comments

What a douche!... He don't want to come so he came up with an stupid excuse. Sorry OP

Yeah I know right?! He's such a douche for serving his country, and we all know that he just came up with an "excuse" to stay overseas. I'm going to assume he's in the Middle East, and we all know what a paradise it is there.

You all realize that he only canceled the day with OP, right? Not his leave.

What kind of priorities is this, Your brother < your dog. I don't understand why everyone is butt hurted

I've never been in the military but I miss my dogs all the time when I'm not home. So I can see his point. Dogs are family too.

quarterbird 18

Pointing out how ridiculous your assessment of the situation is... Isn't the same as being butt hurt, Dude.

Butt hurt, hurted is not a word. Stay in school kid. I've never been in the military, but I've had extended times away from home due to work. The first thing I usually wanted to do when I got back was play with my dog.

Maybe because you called him a douche #39!

Active duty military here, figuring I'd weigh in. Being away from your dog is actually a bigger deal than it seems. It comes from the realization that their entire life starts and ends with you. Any amount of time you are gone, though seemingly short to you, they feel like it's a lifetime. Second, they're a loving companion who misses the **** out of you. There's no greater joy than coming home after a deployment and seeing your dog leap and cry and just lose it with joy when they see you. They love you. So, yeah, if I were in OP's brother's situation, I'd go see my dog too.

Well, I understand this feels like he's avoiding you, but maybe see if you can reschedule? We all love our pets. And thank him for his service.

i rather be w my baby boogy than anyone...so many he meant it and wasnt avoiding you

Not sure if he just got back from deployment, but his mind might be all over the place. Deployments (and military life in general) can be pretty stressful. Also, does he actually know about this perfect night you planned? I have to ask.

Some of my friends wouldn't mind having the perfect night laid out for us. But most of us want to relax, and then maybe ask us, "hey, what do you want to do?" If he has nothing in mind, then suggest parts of this perfect night. But the planning of it might only have added stress.

Not to mention it sounds like OP planned it right away. if I had to guess I'd say he planned it for the night his brother got back. At the very least he should give his brother a few days or a week to adjust and do the things he wants to do. Better yet make it a couple nights before he goes back so that he has something to remember and the rest of his leave isn't overshadowed.

The only thing I wanted to do when I got back from the sandbox was chill.

I mean I'd miss my dog too. He's like my best friend

Military life isn't easy OP, give your brother a break. This leave is only two weeks, which probably doesn't seem like much to him when he's been deprived of comforts, like his dog. I'm sure he wants to see you, but it's important to let him have some time to himself first.

My girlfriend and I broke up because she just wouldn't let me decompress and relax when I got back. Now I'm not deployed, but still away, and can't wait to get back and see my kitty.

Very thoughtful of you. Remember, though, that the perfect night in your eyes is very different than that of someone home from a deployment. Suggest you let him know you thought you had something great planned, but understand if he wants to do something different. Let him know what is was and make plans for another night. Go easy on him.

My cats are my best friends, and I prefer their company over being with a human. Theyre non judgemental and love unconditionally. Your brother is home for 2 weeks, not for 1 day, you can reschedule - maybe the day you did some special with your brother shouldnt have been so rigid, and you both could have picked a day that worked for both of you. Your brother probably is more than stressed out being in the military, he wants to be with his dog. You wanna see him, but cut him some slack. I dated a guy who is a vet (Desert Storm), plus I worked with people who were in the military..they wouldnt talk about it (one guy I worked with mentioned he got shot and show me the scar, my ex wouldnt talk about) - theyre brave to serve their country. God bless em

Unless you were actively discussing this night out with your brother and he knew exactly how much effort you put into things, he's got every right to just want to be with his dog.

To be fair even if he did know, he still has a right to want to just be with his dog. The only way I could see this being a real FML situation for OP is if they had already discussed the date and activities and his brother had agreed to it.

He probably just wants a night of peace and relaxation, dogs don't ask questions about the horrors he faced and the terrible things he had to do to protect people...