By shadyladyhh - 09/09/2014 21:00 - United States

Today, a middle-aged customer tried to pay for a $2 ice cream bar with a credit card. It was declined, so he made me swipe it again. Declined. "Quit touching the metal strip," he scowled. I held the outer edge of it and swiped. Declined. He then bitched me out as his mother paid for him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 484
You deserved it 3 299

shadyladyhh tells us more.

shadyladyhh 11

Then the mom bought him another one 15 minutes later. Sugar free ones cost a little more, so she was mad about that too.

Top comments

Lebeaugars95 20

F his life, his mom still has pay for him and he doesn't even have 2 dollars to his name

The best part of working with customers...

Comments

grumpymonk 4

That sucks I hope ur next shift is way better........

shit it's only $2.. middle aged man so broke lol

Wouldn't the question be, why is the mother going to the shops for an ice cream with a middle aged son to start with? That's just as sad.

cryssycakesx3 22

perhaps they haven't seen each other in a while and were on a date. perhaps he bought dinner and was buying dessert, but spent more than he thought. what's the maximum age for going out for an icecream with your mom?

NiceGuysDoWin 21

I'm 35 and took my 62 year old mother out for ice cream 3 days ago. There should never be an age limit for spending a little quality time with your parents.

TokenBlackGuy70 2

Some places have a minimum spending limit before accepting cards

Most credit cards have a limit to how low you can spend at one time and $2 is most likely to low. I know I have to spend like $10 for mine to work

What credit card company are you using? That sounds like a horrible company.

NiceGuysDoWin 21

It's very likely that that has nothing to do with your credit card company and more to do with the store policy at most places. Because credit cards charge the store running the card a transaction fee as well as a percentage of the sale, a lot of stores will not accept cards for small purchases. I managed a convenience store for a while that had that policy. Let's say you were buying a candy bar for 75 cents. That candy probably cost the store about 40 cents. Depending on their merchant contract, the credit card company is probably charging them 35 cents plus 2% to run the card. So for a small sale, the store could actually be losing money on the sale by allowing you to pay with your credit card.

I second 95's comment. There are many stores (mostly family-owned convenience stores) that won't accept credit or debit card purchases below a certain amount of money. I learned the hard way when I visited an ice cream store that wouldn't take less than a $5.00 total for credit card purchases. I ended up having to buy an ice cream that was way too much for me to eat, even after buying a bottle of water. I don't know if it's the same up North or out West, but in the Southeast, it's a common practice.

you should have said...don't worry middle aged kid..mommy's gonna pay for your ice cream.

ParamoreATD 19

Don't Touch The Metal Strip ! >:c Lmao cx

ChildrenOfFilth 12

"Mommy mommy! I want my ice cream now!!!!"

ril95 3

I used to work at Walmart. I feel you 110% right now!!