The truth will always come out

By cmendez - 26/02/2010 05:02 - United States

Today, my mother, who is 75 years-old, just told me and my sister that we were adopted. I'm 45 years-old and my sister is 49. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 866
You deserved it 2 304

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Parents are those who raise, not those who knock someone up/get pregnant.

iEmily 0

bit late to be telling you that.

Comments

Gotta agree, I don't see how this is a FML if you had a decent upbringing. Ok, if you didn't have a decent upbringing then perhaps it is a FML but really????? She took you in when your biological parents couldn't raise you, she changed your diapers, made sure you had a roof over your head and food in your stomach and I have no doubt you had clothes on your back too. She would have often put you before yourself and you cry FML! For shame!

youthink_fml 0

How does this change anything to make it an FML?

It changes everything. Every aspect of the OP's life now has to be re-examined and set into this new framework of knowledge she has about who she is and who her family is. It's traumatizing to have everything you thought you knew about yourself, your upbringing, and your relatives swept away in one sentence. It'll take a lot of time, introspection, and tears (not to mention a lot of anger at the people who kept this a secret) to work through this.

It's called common sense and maybe a little bit of reality TV. Not "psych student".

serendipitycue 0

7 said everything I wanted to say.

korn247 5

this shouldn't be an FML. I'm pretty sure after 49 years you think of her as mother. be thankful she raised your ass as her own

Another possibility is that the mother is suffering from some dementia and that the adoption story isn't true at all, but is the result of the illness.

This was my first thought as well. Given her age it is very possible she is confused due to an illness like dementia or Alzheimer's .

Fluffgirl 0

The only way this could remotely be an FML is that OP may feel it's too late to find her biological parents (alive), if she's so inclined.

carpediem19 0

OP, that really does not seem like something fml worthy. plenty of people are adopted,and don't even know for a long time. so chill.

I'm totally down with the majority. So? The ONLY thing I can think of that can cause major concern is any health risks. Ya know, like if your blood family carries anything that may lead you to be a higher risk of having something like cancer or the such.