Suspicious behavior

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I found out that driving five miles an hour under the posted speed limit is "suspicious" and cause for a field sobriety test, breathalyzer, having your car searched and being handcuffed on the side of the road. FML
I agree, your life sucks 81 598
You deserved it 12 830

Top comments

Sounds like the cop doesn't know the law very well (surprise surprise). Any evidence would have been tossed...he's a moron.

@#2: What? There are plenty of reasons to be driving under the speed limit: - it's dark - bad weather - you are unfamiliar with the territory/trying to find a place you've never been - you don't know the speed limit - you're car is impaired

Comments

To #11 - I was taught to drive by a cop, and he told me to drive just a little below the speed limit (no more than 5 miles under). Now I don't always do that anymore, but if I am in any of the situations that #7 listed, then I do. And by the way, if the OP is not confident with his/her driving skills, he/she actually needs to keep practicing, as opposed to giving up. Were you taught to give up on something important if you messed up once? And in this situation, it wasn't even the mess up of the driver, but the mistake (I assume) of the cop.

there's obviously more to the story than what were being told.

Actually, yes, you can get ticketed for driving more than 5 miles under the speed limit in good conditions, it is a law (at least in Massachusetts), just like you can get ticketed for going 5 miles or more over the speed limit, or for "driving too fast for the conditions." It doesn't happen often but it legally can. And driving 5 or more miles under the speed limit in good conditions is considered driving suspiciously, so you can get pulled over, but there must be more to the story that we are missing if you got handcuffed. You don't get handcuffed and searched for driving slowly.

OperationNicole_fml 0

If they handcuffed you, you failed the breathalyzer and therefore deserved it.

davidpom50 0

I once got pulled over because I reached under my passenger seat to pull out a hat. I drove a convertible and it was a sunny morning. The cop claimed he suspected I was hiding drugs or a weapon, and that gave him probable cause to search my vehicle. He also asked how much I had had to drink...at 9 in the morning. I refused to allow him to search, and he refused to let me go. He called his supervisor, who told me that if I drove away, the officer could arrest me for disobeying a lawful command from a police officer, and the officer could keep me on the side of the road all day. I let them search my car, they found my hat and nothing else, and let me go with a "warning." I was very late to my appointment. The moral of the story is, standing up to the cops usually does no good. Right or wrong (usually wrong), they have all the power. All I could do was file a complaint, which I'm sure was completely ignored.

yeahreally 6

sounds like your cop has some kind of complex and was bored

love_lucy 0

hey how do you guys know OP isn't a new driver? maybe he was driving slow since he was just learning, so telling him to get off the road would be stupid and that sucks mann but if you were driving in the left lane you totally deserve it =P