Suspicious behavior

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I found out that driving five miles an hour under the posted speed limit is "suspicious" and cause for a field sobriety test, breathalyzer, having your car searched and being handcuffed on the side of the road. FML
I agree, your life sucks 81 598
You deserved it 12 829

Top comments

Sounds like the cop doesn't know the law very well (surprise surprise). Any evidence would have been tossed...he's a moron.

@#2: What? There are plenty of reasons to be driving under the speed limit: - it's dark - bad weather - you are unfamiliar with the territory/trying to find a place you've never been - you don't know the speed limit - you're car is impaired

Comments

You should have told the cop he has absolutely NO CAUSE to pull you over, cuff you or search your car. Then proceed to call 411 and get the number of an attorney. Don't forget to get the asshole's badge number.

Well, given implied consent laws that are in place in America, it is completely legal for a police officer to test anyone in any vehicle for blood alcohol, perform further test if any one test is insufficient, and search the vehicle if the tests lead the officer to suspicion. idk about the handcuffs

Actually a cop doesn't need a reason to pull you over. They only need a reason to write you a ticket. You can drive 5mph under the speed limit without a problem, the cop was just checking things out, an officer can do a breathalyzer test whenever they please. The searching however as long as the driver said it's ok they did nothing wrong. You can say no to a search, especially if they don't have probable cause. So yea that police officer wasn't wrong. People are so fast to judge them because they either hate following the law or just don't like law enforcement. (Probably because they have been in trouble) the police are there to protect us, just because people do not agree with them, doesn't mean they are wrong or bad officers.

Dumb ass. He deceived you. If you got in trouble, you can conest all of this because he lied to you about his right to search your car. If he asked if he could, you can always say no. People need to know the ******* laws.

muckdog19 2

That's exactly what I was thinking. People don't realize they have the right to tell authority no. And to whoever said nothing found could be used against him, yes it could if he agreed to let them search his car.

gr33k 0

I hope you didn't consent to any of that. Get a lawyer. Cases like this get thrown out all the time. ******* cops.

gr33k 0

I hope you didn't consent to any of that. Get a lawyer. Cases like this get thrown out all the time. ******* cops.

He had no right to search your car or handcuff you. You shouldn't have let him do it. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJrQBwJpqk for how to deal with being pulled over.

Thats a good way to get tossed in the back for resisting arrest. When you get your license, you sign a paper that says that you must take the breathalyzer if asked or you loose your license.

Actually, here in NY, believe it or not, the fine for driving 10 under the speed limit is $15 more than for driving 10 over...but I agree, getting pulled over for five under is a little bit much, especially if it was dark/bad weather/etc.

yeahhbro 0

I hate when people drive slow.

I have a feeling that something is missing from the story. There is no reason that a cop would waste his time unless you gave him one. There are usually laws against impeding the flow of traffic, which you can get a ticket for if you are going too slow, much like reckless driving. 5mph under does not fall into that category. However, if everyone is going 10 over and you are going 5 under then it is still dangerous.

He had no probable cause unless you were swerving, weaving or otherwise acting in a dangerous manner.. Even then he had no right to search your car unless he found out you were intoxicated, and no reason to cuff you either you either unless you were being uncooperative or a danger to him... So either the cop is a moron, or you're not telling us the whole story.