Spillage

By haytia22 - 24/07/2009 05:01 - United States

Today, I learned that when your gas nozzle does not automatically stop by itself the way it's supposed to, they will continue to charge your credit card as the gas overflows out of your tank until someone notices and yells, "Turn the gas off!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 17 343
You deserved it 52 397

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ashole1990 10

that is why you aren't supposed to leave your car unattended while you are pumping gas of course i'm assuming you left it, because i think only an idiot wouldnt notice this that is also a possibility though :]

YDI for not paying attention. You deserve to be charged extra for endangering everyone around you.

Comments

spotty313 0
kaylinann529 0

you totally deserve that! why do you think that the gas station should have to pay for the gas you spilled because you were not paying attention?

So, not only are you a moron for leaving your car unattended while filling up, but you're surprised that they charged you for all the gas you wasted through your stupidity?!

-sigh- Mkay, I work at a gas station too. And I'm going to let y'all in on a little secret. If you push the nozzle too far into your tank, it will not shut off automatically because it screws with the sensor. It's amazing how many times this turns out to be the case with overflows. See, I didn't know this little tidbit until I started working there, so I originally thought there was just something wrong with my tank, as my truck is old and barely making the ten minute drive to work. But at least I was smart enough to, I dunno...stay right there like you're supposed to? And of COURSE it continues to charge your credit card. Why would you expect it to not to, unless you have some sort of magical telepathic card that knows the difference between you pumping the gas or overflowing?

IDRC 0

FYL. People need to stop being so rude. There's no way to know if she had been watching the pump or not. If she was, she wouldn't have known that it hadn't stopped at the time it was supposed to anyway--until it was too late of course. If she was watching the meter, even when it started going past the correct amount for the cost and gallons, she would have had to run in the store or something and even then, the gas could have started to overflow. Either way, how does she deserve having a messed up pump?? Even if she was being SUPER attentive, the gas still would've overflowed.

IDRC 0

Oh nevermind the "no way of knowing if she was watching the pump" because someone had to yell to stop the gas.

If she had been attentive and the pump messed up, then no, it wouldn't have been her fault. But, she mentioned that someone else noticed and told her to turn it off. That seems like a pretty obvious implication of "I wasn't paying attention" to me. Edit: Nevermind, you seem to have caught that. :)

edit: Berating post edited, you caught what she said.

letitbe56 0

I think the part that reveals that she wasn't paying attention is the part that says "the gas overflows out of your tank until someone notices." That implies that she herself didn't notice, which implies she wasn't paying attention. Edit- You got it. Just noticed.

hazelwolfeyes 0

she couldve stopped it from serious overflow if she was paying attention. once its starts running down the side of the car, its kinda obvious...someone had to yell for her to stop it. im sorry n karma will get me back for this, but your an idiot. o.o...

not to be sexist, but when i looked at this FML, i realized only a woman could manage to do this, guess what, I WAS RIGHT! if you were a guy i would give you the double vote like #63 lol.

Ugh, enough with the sexist shit assholes.

haha, well actually, a middle aged man came into my gas station and did the same sort of thing, I was really busy and when I realised the auto shutoff hadn't kicked in, I quickly shut it off. The man wasn't seen for at least 10 mins after that. I wish people (men and women) would pay more attention in gas stations... it's a fairly dangerous place if you act like a tard.

mamasharones 0

Uhhh the pump says not to leave the thing unattended sooo yeah dumbass...FML they don't put things like that up for no reason... drrr drrr drrr

I don't even DRIVE and I know that you're not supposed to leave the pump. YDI for being stupid and ignorant.

noo.... the ignorant person is you. you can't be ignorant AND stupid seeming how they both reffer to the same thing. also, people leave them pump all the time for several resons, to rest after a hard days work, to wait, maybe its hot out, to write the amount they spent in the book thingy (lol). but what ever the reason, she excepted the pump to stop like usual. It's no ones fault. Just bad luck.

letitbe56 0

iluvhugs, go back to 8th grade English class. The OP is certainly both ignorant and stupid. There are nuances of meaning there, and both apply. For example, you are clearly ignorant (lacking in knowledge). The jury is still out as to whether or not you are stupid (slow-witted), but I wouldn't expect a favorable ruling. Second of all, it is never, NEVER okay to leave a gas pump unattended. There are signs to this effect ON THE GAS PUMP. You should obey them. The fact that sometimes the automatic shut-off malfunctions is one reason. The fact that getting back into your car can cause static electricity to discharge which can ignite the gasoline is another reason. All those things you mentioned can be done AFTER you have finished pumping your gas in a responsible way. Please, please, please--stop being a safety hazard to those around you.